Graphing support for RRD_STORAGE_TYPE = MULTIPLE

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
gcs

Graphing support for RRD_STORAGE_TYPE = MULTIPLE

Post by gcs »

Are there any plans on getting the graphing, etc. in Nagios XI to support "RRD_STORAGE_TYPE = MULTIPLE" when retrieving performance data?

We would like to be able to add/remove counters to a service after it has been created, without having to migrate RRD files manually afterwards.

As far as I can see it should just be a matter of looking in the <host>/<service>.xml file for the names of the RRD's instead of assuming they are named <host>/<service>.rrd.
WillemDH

Re: Graphing support for RRD_STORAGE_TYPE = MULTIPLE

Post by WillemDH »

Hello,

I'm not sure if it will work for you, but please check this post:

http://support.nagios.com/forum/viewtop ... 16&t=30419

The rrd fix script fixed my rrd's which had additional perfdata sources.

Grtz

Willem
Nagios XI 5.8.1
https://outsideit.net
gcs

Post by gcs »

Thanks for the tip. I have looked at some of the different rrd add source / rrd modify scripts referenced in this forum and other places, and haven't found a solution better than storing in individual RRD's (RRD_STORAGE_TYPE = MULTIPLE).

Unfortunately the new performance counters on my services are not guaranteed to be the last counters in the performance data string, so simply adding at the end is not feasible. rrd_modify.pl from PNP4Nagios can add counters in the middle of an RRD file, however this requires running the script manually and comparing performance data strings before/after, which isn't feasible for 100's/1000's of different services. It could possibly be automated however process_perfdata.pl overwrites the old xml file describing the mapping between performance counter and RRD datasource number, so an eventual script doesn't know which counters have been added, and which were in the RRD file already.

I guess another solution could be to get process_perfdata.pl to read the existing xml file first and interleave any new counters in the existing RRD before updating the xml file and RRD.
abrist
Red Shirt

Post by abrist »

Unfortunately, XI does not currently support the MULTIPLE directive. This is on our radar though. I will make sure that the feature requests get seen though. Thanks.
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.