service_check_timeout

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
Maxwellb99

service_check_timeout

Post by Maxwellb99 »

Hello,

I'm running the check_oracle_health plugin; specifically the can-allocate-next-extent module. It can take upwards of 10 minutes to crunch through all our tablespaces. I set the "-t" timeout flag to 600 & I set the following: check_interval:12; retry_interval:10; max_check_attempts: 2; Here's where I'm at. Sometimes it returns results. Sometimes it returns timeout in 60.1 seconds:

Questions:
-Suggestions about troubleshooting? Note: I haven't gotten a timeout when running it from the command line using the timeout flag. It might take a while for some of the DB's but it always returns a result from the command line.
-I saw in the main config the service-timeout is set to 60. Who wins the service-timeout in the plugin or the one in the main config?
-Thoughts about changing the main config to be 600?
service_timeout.PNG
service_timeout2.PNG
Thanks,
Maxwell Ramirez
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcapra

Re: service_check_timeout

Post by mcapra »

I would change the structure of this check to be a passive check. Then run it on something like a cron job with a ~15 minute interval.

More info here:
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf

But the gist of it is, you create a wrapper script/command to call your Oracle plugin(s) and have them submit results to Nagios XI via external commands, NRDP, or some other passive method.

You certainly could bump up the service_check_timeout, but that has implications on the entire monitoring system and the above setup only affects one single service check.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

I agree with @mcapra's suggestion. And to help clarify the behavior - Using the -t option will work , but requires also increasing the service_check_value in nagios.cfg which is a global change. When the command is run from the cli it doesn't take the nagios.cfg into consideration.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
Maxwellb99

Post by Maxwellb99 »

Thank you both for your responses. I'll run it by management and see what they want to do. Kind of a bummer that I'd have to push out an agent. Right now I'm doing everything through the check_oracle_health plugin & connecting directly to the DB's.

Please close this thread.

Cheers,
Maxwell Ramirez