snmp trap can contain unspecified information

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
dslaughter

Re: snmp trap can contain unspecified information

Post by dslaughter »

PM sent with screen shots and profile.
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

Can you please send the data to me? @ssax is out today.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
dslaughter

Post by dslaughter »

pm sent
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

I'd like to get a copy of the nagiosql and nagiosxi database so I can confirm the configuration. It may also be helpful to get a tcpdump capturing traps that are sent to the XI machine from the device. Get the databases with:

Code: Select all

mysqldump -uroot -pnagiosxi nagiosxi > nagiosxi.sql
mysqldump -uroot -pnagiosxi nagiosql > nagiosql.sql
and the tcpdump with:

yum -y install tcpdump
tcpdump -s 0 -i any port 162 and host w.x.y.z -w output.pcap
where w.x.y.z is the IP of the sending device. Let it run a few minutes(just long enough to capture a few traps) and use CTRL+C to stop it. Collect the output.pcap it creates.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
dslaughter

Post by dslaughter »

I sent the files via pm
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

The reason why they are showing up in Unconfigured Objects is because the Service Description being sent in doesn't match what you have in the system, there are extra spaces in the service description.

Please run this command and send me the resulting /tmp/SNMPFILES.zip file:

zip -r /tmp/SNMPFILES.zip /etc/snmp
Check your PMs as well, I'm sending the info.
dslaughter

Post by dslaughter »

pm sent
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

I have confirmed this as a bug with the unconfigured objects stripping out the extra spaces in the service name. I have submitted a bug report for this so the developers can fix it:

NEW TASK ID 15374 created - Nagios XI Bug Report: XI - Unconfigurated Objects - Services with extra spaces in the service desc are converted to single spaces which won't match
dslaughter

Post by dslaughter »

Do you think it will be fixed soon? If not I need to have a workaround. Do you have any suggestions?

Also I noticed that some unconfigured objects will remove itself from the unconfigured objects list after being configured and some do not. Is that expected or should the unconfigured object always remove itself after being configured?
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

I do not have an ETA at this time.

The only workarounds I can think of would be for you to modify the sending server to remove the double-spaces from the $7 or $8 enterprise variables you have defined OR modify your XI trap definition and change the Service Description to this (and it should work):
- Note: This assumes $8 contains the extra spaces

Endpoint Unavailable $7 `echo '$8' | sed -i 's/  */ /g'`
I don't think the unconfigured objects list ever automatically removes themselves (without clicking the Clear Unconfigured Objects List button) without auto-import being setup. Do you have Admin > Unconfigured Objects > Auto Import setup?

EDIT: After talking with development about the unconfigured objects it should eventually remove them from unconfigured objects list. If they are still listed they likely don't match (extra spaces or something else).