snmp trap can contain unspecified information

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
dslaughter

snmp trap can contain unspecified information

Post by dslaughter »

I need to match clear traps to problem traps.

The trap will have event identity information the nagiosXI snmp trap service may not know about so they go to the same service. Currently there is a service per trap definition. Which works but doesn't match clears to problems. If I receive multiple problem traps with different identity information a clear trap should clear a specific event but instead it clears the service when the service should still be in a warning state instead of clear.

Sometimes I wont know what's in the trap so I can't create a new service before it comes in. How can I match clears to problems without creating a new service before new traps come in?
cdienger
Support Tech

Re: snmp trap can contain unspecified information

Post by cdienger »

The MATCH expression(http://www.snmptt.org/docs/snmptt.shtml ... CONF-MATCH) can be used on a definition to include or exclude a trap. This can be applied under the Advanced section of the trap definition, but there is no automatic way for the trap definition to know which clear trap corresponds to a problem trap. Some knowledge of the expected traps to be sent would need to be known and accounted for in the trap definitions so they can be forwarded to the appropriate XI service.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
dslaughter

Post by dslaughter »

I have a problem trap named 'endpoint unavailable' and in the trap are customer and a list of components. Components are on customer premise and I have no control on what the names of components are. Sometimes I don't know how the customer specifies its name either.

I need to take the list of components in the problem trap and match to the clear trap to clear the event. If I can't match traps then snmp trap processing in nagiosXI is not much help to me. A clear trap comes in and clears the service even though there are other traps still in alarm.

I can't just manually create a bunch of services for customer/components I don't know about. Can services be created dynamically?

I've used other management software that would allow matching fields in both problem and clear traps to clear a specific event. I was sure nagiosXI had a way to do this. I've been impressed with the ease of working in nagiosXI and was surprised when I discovered it wasn't working as I thought it should.
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

What does the current definition look like? Can you provide a screenshot?

Do all the traps use the same OID?

Trap definitions can be imported from a MIB file(Admin > System Extensions > Manage MIBs) which can help but a setup like this will likely require some tweaking. Please provide the MIB if possible.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
dslaughter

Post by dslaughter »

pm sent
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

Do criticalClearId and criticalId reference the same unique id? If so, you could use $1 in the service description so that unique passive services are created for each id. You can then add the new services manually or configure XI to add them automatically under Admin > Monitoring Config > Unconfigured Objects.

See the attached screenshot for an example of the service description name. You can use any of the 9 variables(or combination of) that the traps send to create unique passive services. Each variable being represented by $1 through $9.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dslaughter

Post by dslaughter »

I've added the variables to the service name in trap definition. Gonna let it run for a few days to see how it works. Lets leave this open a couple more days while I'm testing.
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

Sounds good. Keep us posted.
dslaughter

Post by dslaughter »

I've been getting the trap unconfigured object with the service description as expected. I configure the service and it shows under the host correctly. If another trap with the same identifier comes in it is an unconfigured object again. I do the auto configure again and nothing changes under the host. When the next trap comes in it is still an unconfigured object.

After defining the service the traps do not update. They are seen as unconfigured objects.

I seem to be missing a step somewhere.
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

You need to make sure that the hostname and servicename are the same (they are case-sensitive).

When you see them in Unconfigured Objects does the hostname and servicename match exactly? (send a screenshot)

Please PM me a copy of your profile as well, you can download it from Admin > System Profile by clicking the Download Profile button.

Thank you!