Standby Server

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
dslaughter

Standby Server

Post by dslaughter »

I've been searching for some documentation to setup a standby server but haven't found anything that looks reliable. Due to taking nagiosxi offline due to a security breach I was unable to successfully start a backup instance. One server is in the uk and the other is in the us. Is it possible to have a standby take over and use the same rrd's and mysql db to eliminate data loss? I need assistance in setting up a backup that can be started if one fails and not lose any data. Is this possible?
dslaughter

Re: Standby Server

Post by dslaughter »

I've found your How To Achieve High Availability document. I checked with our vmware expert and he said that your vmware HA option will only help if there is a problem with the host. If you are breached the exploit will be on both vm's. Cold standby may be the only way to really protect against intrusions. I haven't been able to find much information about this. I've got some questions

Cold Standby:

If the cold standby has a different ip address can the mysql db and rrds be used on production and standby?

What would be the best method of syncing db and rrds?

Thanks
BanditBBS

Post by BanditBBS »

If you have a standby(DR) server you can copy the latest NagiosXI backup to it and then restore on the DR host. Both hosts need to be kept on the same version of XI. I have my prod XI host sync the /store folder with my DR server overnight so at most any data I would lose would be 1 day if I ever had to fail over to that host.
2 of XI5.6.14 Prod/DR/DEV - Nagios LogServer 2 Nodes
See my projects on the Exchange at BanditBBS - Also check out my Nagios stuff on my personal page at Bandit's Home and at github
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

The method @BanditBBSsuggested is what we typically see people do. Making a backup and restoring it on another machine is covered in https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf. The backup will include a copy of the database as well as rrd files. It also what needs to done if the IP addresses are different - see the "Changed IP Address" section.

It's important to note that the license allows for one production machine at a time. The standby(DR) machine should only be monitoring the production machine to detect and notify on outages so that the steps to migrate the production machine can be taken. https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... Server.pdf covers how to monitor an XI server and https://support.nagios.com/kb/article/n ... s-145.html has details on the licensing for a DR server.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
dslaughter

Post by dslaughter »

I'm still testing this. Go ahead and lock it. If I need more help I'll start a new thread.