User not receiving email notifications

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
pavan509

User not receiving email notifications

Post by pavan509 »

Hello Team,

I have created 3 new users on the Nagios platform with AD authentication enabled. Out of 3 users, 1 user is not receiving both host and serviceemail notifications. So I have reconfigured the user and also readded the user multiple times but no result. I have enabled the notifications at host and service level from CCM panel as mentioned below.

Code: Select all

Configure --> Core Config Manager --> Contact Groups --> Contact group name --> Manage Contacts --> select the contact to be added --> Add Selected --> Close --> Apply Configuration.
I can also see that notifications are getting triggered from the Nagios to that user from event logs. Attached the screenshot of the same for reference.

Let me know how can I troubleshoot this issue further.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks, Pavan
benjaminsmith

Re: User not receiving email notifications

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hi Pavan,

Make sure they check their spam folder.

Then, I would check the mail logs for any errors. First, make sure you have PHPmailer logging enabled on the system.
php-mailer-loggin.png
There are user preferences for notifications as well, but if the notification handlers are getting triggered for the contact, then it's likely an email issue.

If you find any errors in the log, please post them to the thread for us to review.

Thanks,
Benjamin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
pavan509

Post by pavan509 »

Hello Benjamin,

I have verified the user's mailbox and no emails were received either to the inbox or to the spam folder. I verified the outlook rules as well to confirm that they are not being redirected to any folder or being deleted by default. PHP mailer logging is already enabled and I couldn't see any errors in the logs. I can also see notifications are being triggered in the Notifications log. The user is also receiving emails for the scheduled reports and a 2FA code for the login.

Any further advice to investigate the issue and fix is highly appreciated.
Thanks, Pavan
gsmith

Post by gsmith »

Hi

In the screenshot you posted it looks like this command is failing:

Code: Select all

nagios_send_service_mail.pl -p "Schneider-Electric" -r "rahul.jha@non.se.com" -f multi -u -l en
You could try running that from the command line to see if you can determine the error, maybe there is a -v (verbose) option?

nagios_send_service_mail.pl is provided by a third-party, you should contact that third-party for support.

Thanks
pavan509

Post by pavan509 »

I tried adding the user in my test environment and enabled notifications of test devices. It worked fine without any hiccups. So, what I understood is that the nagios_send_service_mail.pl plugin is the culprit as it is not supporting the SMTP authentication-based email generation. Can someone guide me on how to remove the emails getting generated through the plugin and configure it to the default method?
Thanks, Pavan
gsmith

Post by gsmith »

Hi

To use the default method, go to Admin, Email settings and configure your system like:
Image006.jpg
You'll need to change the email addresses, and the server, port, protocol to your requirements.

To stop using the plugin uninstall it by reversing the installation instructions found at:
https://nagios.fm4dd.com/howto/manual/n ... _mail.shtm

Note: there may be uninstallation instructions in one of the authors documentation pages.

Thanks
pavan509

Post by pavan509 »

Hi Team,

I had revoked the existing notifications and replaced them with the default settings. Now, a new problem arises, all the users are not receiving the host-related notifications. No issues were observed with the service-related notifications. Can someone guide me to fix this issue?
Thanks, Pavan
gsmith

Post by gsmith »

Hi,

Please send me a System Profile so I can take a look.

1. Login to the Nagios XI GUI using a web browser.
2. Click the "Admin" > "System Config" > "System Profile" menu pick
3. Click the "Download Profile" button
4. Save the profile.zip file and share the file in a private message and then reply to this post to bring it up in the queue.

Thanks
pavan509

Post by pavan509 »

Hello Smith,

I have sent you the System profile in PM. Please check and let me know for further actions.
Thanks, Pavan
gsmith

Post by gsmith »

Hi,

I loaded your System Profile and took a look at some Host and Service configurations.

Looking at your host GB-WORTHING for example, there are not enough settings to perform checks or notifications:
Image003.jpg
Image004.jpg
Image002.jpg
You'll need to assign values so that checks are performed and notifications can be sent.

Please let me know if there are issues after adding the values.

Thanks