Livestatus

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
delboy1966

Livestatus

Post by delboy1966 »

We currently use Nagios 4.4.6 and use livestatus to create reports and also for Nagvis to pull data from Nagios.
The version of livestatus we use is from the Nagios Exchange, https://exchange.nagios.org/directory/D ... us/details
Its a pretty old version and I can't see a newer version, this version works prietty well but would be nice to be able to update it.

I see that Check MK is at version 2.2.0 and this has livestatus with it, but I can't find a why to just use that version of livestatus without having to install everything else it comes with. If I still everything else and just lift livestatus.o from the install directory and load that into nagios.cfg I get an error and Nagios doesn't load.

Anyone got any ideas?
martinh

Re: Livestatus

Post by martinh »

Livestatus is being very actively maintained by and for Checkmk with almost weekly improvements, see here: https://github.com/Checkmk/checkmk/tree ... livestatus

As we perceive Nagios Core not being actively maintained anymore, with Livestatus itself receiving more love than entire Nagios Core, we focus on improving Livestatus for Checkmk.
florencepugh

Post by florencepugh »

How about carefully evaluating the compatibility between the newer livestatus version and your existing Nagios setup before attempting a manual integration?build now gg
swolf
Developer

Post by swolf »

delboy1966 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:09 am We currently use Nagios 4.4.6 and use livestatus to create reports and also for Nagvis to pull data from Nagios.
The version of livestatus we use is from the Nagios Exchange, https://exchange.nagios.org/directory/D ... us/details
Its a pretty old version and I can't see a newer version, this version works prietty well but would be nice to be able to update it.

I see that Check MK is at version 2.2.0 and this has livestatus with it, but I can't find a why to just use that version of livestatus without having to install everything else it comes with. If I still everything else and just lift livestatus.o from the install directory and load that into nagios.cfg I get an error and Nagios doesn't load.

Anyone got any ideas?
Hi @delboy1966, thanks for reaching out.

As others have mentioned, I don't think the livestatus maintainers are interested in staying compatible with Nagios Core. The specific justification here seems weird (if Nagios Core doesn't change, shouldn't it take less effort to maintain compatibility?), but is beside the point.

In speaking with other customers, it seems like people have the most success using livestatus version 1.2.8, and it seems like this version is still compatible with current Nagios Core. If you use that version, you should just be able to grab the RPM and install it on its own.

Hopefully that helps, feel free to reach out if you have any other questions or concerns.

-Sebastian Wolf
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy