Problem with Nagvis after upgrade to 5.11.1

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
vappukuttan

Problem with Nagvis after upgrade to 5.11.1

Post by vappukuttan »

I saw another topic open (but was for fresh install)
viewtopic.php?t=65814

This is similar issue, but for an environment which was working from NagiosXI 5.10.0 to 5.11.1. No errors on the upgrade logs. But now within Nagvis, I am seeing 'Problem (Backend: nagiosxi): Connection Problem (Backend: nagiosxi): The given instance name "localhost" in backend "nagiosxi" is not valid.'

I reviewed the nagvis.ini.php and it looks to be good.

TIA,
Vinod
vappukuttan

Re: Problem with Nagvis after upgrade to 5.11.1

Post by vappukuttan »

Hello,

I am guessing no one has an issue after upgrading to 5.11.1. I may try to restart apache or mysql or nagios over the weekend to see if that helps.

I still have the issue.
nagvis_error .png
Thank you,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vappukuttan

Post by vappukuttan »

Hello,

After debugging it deeper, found that during the upgrade the instance_name data within SQL table is wrong/missing, I would expect default/localhost to be there. Not sure what the correct method to fix this is. Please let me know.

Code: Select all

MariaDB [nagios]> select * from nagios_instances;
+-------------+-----------+------+---------------------+---------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| instance_id | region_id | uuid | heartbeat           | instance_name | instance_description                                                              |
+-------------+-----------+------+---------------------+---------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|           1 |         1 | 0    | 1969-12-31 19:00:00 | unassigned    | new hosts and services go here until claimed by an instance (not implemented yet) |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

To update the instance_name to localhost, run this in a root ssh session on the nagios server.
mysql -uroot -pnagiosxi nagios -e 'UPDATE nagios_instances SET instance_name = "localhost";'

Then Restart Apache and re-login to XI and go to Nagvis to see if the error is gone.

Thank You
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
vappukuttan

Post by vappukuttan »

Thank you for the response. Does that table only have 1 record to start with?

Does anyone know if this is a bug within the 5.11.1 ?

Thank you,
wbright

Post by wbright »

Yes I am seeing this on the servers running 5.11.1 that have DNS entries for the server name, I am not seeing it on my test servers that do not have a DNS entry or entry in the hosts file for the server name.

All of the servers have Centos 7, PHP 8.1.21, mysql Ver 15.1 Distrib 5.5.68-MariaDB, for Linux (x86_64) using readline 5.1, and Nagvis 1.9.8 installed
wbright

Post by wbright »

After doing the change to allow localhost as recommended during this thread my test server now comes up with the following error

You are not permitted to access this page (Overview/view)

on checking the "Support Information" the Current User Information differences

Working Server
User Logged In wbright (3)
User Auth Module
User Logon Module
User Trusted Auth Yes
User Roles [{"roleId":1,"name":"Administrators"}]
User Permissions {"*":{"*":{"*":[]}}}

Non-working Server
User Logged In wbright (6)
User Auth Module
User Logon Module
User Trusted Auth Yes
User Roles []
User Permissions []
vappukuttan

Post by vappukuttan »

Hello,

I did it the other way, within nagvis.ini.php, i updated the instance to unassigned. That got it to work with no errors.
dbinstancename="unassigned"

Will have to see what the next update does to fix it up.

Thank you,
Vinod