What causes the 'No such file or directory' error when adding a cron job?

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
TeetharKehar

What causes the 'No such file or directory' error when adding a cron job?

Post by TeetharKehar »

I encountered an error while following the guide to set up Nagios plugins. Specifically, when attempting to add a cron job, I received the following error message:

root@lpslibrenms1:/etc/cron.d# */5 * * * * librenms /opt/librenms/services-wrapper.py 1
bash: */5: No such file or directory
Interestingly, when I list the contents of the librenms folder using the ls command, I can see the services-wrapper.py file. However, I'm confused about the presence of a .py 1 file.

Could you provide further clarification or guidance regarding the intended usage or purpose of the .py 1 file in this context?
kg2857

Re: What causes the 'No such file or directory' error when adding a cron job?

Post by kg2857 »

That looks like a cron syntax issue having nothing to do with nagios. Try man cron.
paxtonleiny

Post by paxtonleiny »

That seems to be an issue with the syntax of cron and has nothing to do with nagios. If you want to use man cron, you can.
kg2857

Post by kg2857 »

kg2857 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:31 am That looks like a cron syntax issue having nothing to do with nagios. Try man cron.
LoL. Sounds familiar...
katyswift468

Post by katyswift468 »

As mentioned previously, a crontab is a special file that holds the schedule of jobs cron will run.
Mapquest Directions
Aliyaa

Post by Aliyaa »

kg2857 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:57 pm
kg2857 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:31 am That looks like a cron syntax issue having nothing to do with nagios. Try man cron.
LoL. Sounds familiar...
HenryWatson

Post by HenryWatson »

Charmaine wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:25 pm
TeetharKehar wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:27 am I encountered an error while following the guide to set up Nagios plugins. Specifically, when attempting to add a cron job, I received the following error message:

root@lpslibrenms1:/etc/cron.d# */5 * * * * librenms /opt/librenms/services-wrapper.py 1
bash: */5: No such file or directory
Interestingly, when I list the contents of the librenms folder using the ls command, I can see the services-wrapper.py file. However, I'm confused about the presence of a .py 1 file.

Could you provide further clarification or guidance regarding the intended usage or purpose of the .py 1 file in this context? Depositphotos
thanks for your post. When setting up a cron job, it will run in the context of a specific user. If the file or folder belongs to another user or resides in a user-specific folder, the cron job may not have access to it, resulting in the error "No such file or directory" .
Thanks for help guys