Real-time monitoring?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
ronsalas

Real-time monitoring?

Post by ronsalas »

Nagios core, has the possibility of monitoring in real time since the most that I can lower the times of the checks is a minute and in an environment with more than 500 services in monitoring I am very concerned about the performance of the server.

I would like to start a debate about the possibilities of executing the checks and show the results in real time and the most important thing is to send notifications at the moment of presenting an incident.
benjaminsmith

Re: Real-time monitoring?

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hi @ronsalas,
I would like to start a debate about the possibilities of executing the checks and show the results in real time and the most important thing is to send notifications at the moment of presenting an incident.
It's important to consider what is really necessary. For example, it's not necessary to check disk space in real time, in most cases every 15 to 30 minutes will be sufficient. The general rule is to space your checks to what is required by the device or application to avoid performance issues.

If you need to get more granular you can use passive checks to reduce the load on the server as checks are sent to Nagios by external devices and applications.

Configuring Passive Services With Nagios XI
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!