Undefined index: hostdependency

Information and discussions relating to the Nagios V-Shell web interface.

Undefined index: hostdependency

Postby damjanster » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:07 am

Hello.
I've just installed Vshell on my production nagios server. Great job on easy and straightforward installation process!
However I am getting this error on every page of vshell:

Notice: Undefined index: hostdependency in /usr/local/vshell/data/read_objects.php on line 145

These "notices" fill the first inch and a half of the vshell pages and the drop down menu stays somewhere between the first two notices. :?

What could be causing this? Is there no support for hostdependency or is there something wrong with my nagios config?

BR,
Damjan
damjanster

Re: Undefined index: hostdependency

Postby mguthrie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:23 am

Doh, I left the error messaging turned in from my last bug fix. :?

Open the vshell/index.php file in a text editor, and edit line 53 from:
Code: Select all
ini_set('display_errors','On');

to
Code: Select all
ini_set('display_errors','Off');

I'll update that as well as the host dependency issue later today. The host dependency notice is a minor bug, and shouldn't affect anything on the UI. Thanks for the heads up!
mguthrie

Postby damjanster » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:25 am

Great. V-shell looks much better now.
Ethan spoke of v-shell as the configuration GUI. As far as I can tell it's more of an "overview GUI". I love the fact that I can see the configuration, but I'm missing the concept of having services built for hostgroups. For instance I have lots of linux machines to look after. I designate some fairly standard checks into "linux-server" hostgroup (rootfs usage, swap usage, cpu usage,...). The v-shell shows all these services as being defined for each of the host separately.
In case the v-shell does become a configuration GUI this concept (feature) should also be accounted for. Easier said then done, I know. The flexibility of Nagios is somewhat staggering.
damjanster

Postby mguthrie » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:29 am

Thanks for the feedback. You are correct in that the scope of V-Shell is intended to be a viewing interface, not a config manager. It might have been a different project that Ethan was speaking about, we're currently working on a CCM project (Core Config Manager) which is based on NagiosQL, and it intended to manage the config files. It's currently under development at the moment and we're hoping to have a fully working beta later this year. In the meantime, for Nagios Core, I'd recommend taking a look at either NConf or NagiosQL on exchange.nagios.org for managing configs, they seem to be the most widely used.

The configs that are viewable in V-Shell are the compiled configs that are in the objects.cache file, so they show what all of the values are after templates and groups assignments are all applied.
mguthrie

Postby damjanster » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:48 am

Thanks for replying.
After a second look at my notes I do see a "CCM" mentioned as a configuration GUI - not the V-shell :oops:
For now I will wait for the CCM release, as I use many custom variables that used to not get imported to any of those GUI management tools - I haven't tried it in a while.
Keep up the good work.
damjanster

Postby mguthrie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:03 am

The new NagiosQL version *might* do that now, I'm not sure. Our CCM is based on NagiosQL 3.0, so I haven't followed all of the updates that have happened in the most recent releases, but I know they've made improvements to the import process.
mguthrie

Return to Nagios V-Shell