Passive checks

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
andressete

Passive checks

Post by andressete »

Hi everybody.

I'm working to try in passive checks with snmp.

We need monitored a events from storage netapp and events from enclosures (HP). In theory, It's not possible install a daemon in this machines.

In nagios, we have allow and configured passive checks, but we don't see anything in nagios.

(I think that) we have clear how to monitored with traps in active check, but we don't want this way.

Is it possible?? or I´m imagining a impossible thing.

Thank you very much!
Best regards from Spain.
tmcdonald

Re: Passive checks

Post by tmcdonald »

First, what product and version is this for? I want to move this to the proper forum section.

Second, I am a bit confused here. SNMP traps are passive, not active as you had mentioned near the end of your post. If your device can send a trap then Nagios can monitor it passively, no need to install an additional daemon.
Former Nagios employee
andressete

Post by andressete »

I would like monitored HP BladeSystem c7000 Enclosure G3, HP BladeSystem c7000 Onboard Administrator Tray and NetApp cDot Release 8.3.2P1 on Nagios 4.0.8.

This machine sends events to official HP support and to Netapp official support, we would like catch this events on Nagios too. This events are snmp traps.

Any help, I will be very grateful.

Best regards.
Best regards from Spain.
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

Here is a guide for setting up your Nagios system to receive traps.
http://askaralikhan.blogspot.com/2010/1 ... agios.html
Take a look at it and see if it is what you are looking for.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
andressete

Post by andressete »

Hi;

Thanks for de info, but I can't understand the philosophy... on the one hand the storage device leaves the traps in the log? ... And then nagios reads the log with "submit_check_result" and displays a result? you would be so kind to explain how work it?

Thank you very much!!
Best regards from Spain.
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

Here is a quick process flow on SNMP Traps
Some device sends a trap to the Nagios server
The snmptrapd daemon receives the trap and saves it on the server in a file.
Then the SNMP Trap Translater daemon (snmptt) reads that file and tries to match it to the OID that is defined in the snmptt.conf file.
If it matches one of the settings, it executes the EXEC line "submit_check_result" and that sends the trap to the Nagios daemon.
If the information that Nagios receives matches the service check, then it is displayed in Nagios.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
andressete

Post by andressete »

Thank you very much for the information.

I have installed this packages: net­snmp net­snmp­libs net­snmp­utils net­snmp­perl perl­Net­SNMP net­snmp­devel perl­List­MoreUtils.x86_64 perl­List-AllUtils.noarch perl­Sys­Syslog.x86_64 nagios­plugins­snmp.x86_64 snmptt.noarch.

I needed change the files: in /etc/snmp snmpd.conf, snmptrap.conf, snmptt.conf and snmptt.ini.
Nagios recives the trap in /var/log/snmpttnetapp.log
And create the plugin submint_check_result (to found in google). Configurate nagios to enable passive_checks.

run: snmpttconvertmib ­­in=/usr/share/snmp/mibs/netapp.mib ­­out=/etc/snmp/snmptt.conf ­­debug ­­exec='/usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/eventhandlers/submit_check_result $r TRAP 2'

restart the services snmptrapd and snmptt.

Very important: to enable traffic snmp in the network. I had headache with this theme in my company :evil: :evil:

Sorry for my english :oops: and this topic can be closed.

Best regards.
Best regards from Spain.