Improve Google Maps integration

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
angelgs

Improve Google Maps integration

Post by angelgs »

Hi there,

I am an old user of Netsaint since year 2000. I have recommended to use Nagios on multiple customers and now I work in a Nagios Authorized Reseller company.
In those years working in various Help Desk and Support Centers, we allways had a big screen displaying the main routers in the corporate WAN.

These kind of maps help us to explain to managers and visitors what we do and help the operation staff to quickly detect a network failure in the backbone.
Instead of having a static map/bitmap (i.e. NagVis), I think the Google Maps Integration its a better approach and allows us to zoom in/out.
Speaking with our Nagios XI customers they really love Google Maps but they demand what they call "basic features".

I am sure that our customers will appreciate as an improvement or a paid-for plugin if they can easily do things like:
- Store host coordinates used by Google Maps on a specific field. Now it is stored in Misc Settings > Notes
- Ability to set a host coordinates visually (i.e. open a popup window with Google Maps and pointing the exact place)
- Ability to customize a host icon on Google Maps to easily distinguish a router or a host and its status (up, down, unreachable) using bitmap defined in icon or status image or similar.
- Display the status or used bandwith in parent-child links as diferent colours (i.e. gray=unknown, green=ok, orange=warning, red=critical)

We are trying to sell more Nagiox XI licenses (to make bussines of course and) to help to support such a great product. ;)

Regards,
Angel