Rediscovery of device

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
dflick

Rediscovery of device

Post by dflick »

A "Rediscover" button would be awesome! A lot of tools offer this functionality to add new interfaces or update interface descriptions, designations when interfaces are changed etc. Right now, every time I need to add or move an interface I have to go through a laborious process of creating new files, hand editing cfg files and merging rrd files with a 3rd party tool. The process is highly error prone and burns up a senior engineer's time where other monitoring systems can update by clicking a "rediscover now" button by a junior admin! The cost difference to maintain a highly dynamic environment is high compared to other closed source proprietary systems which hurts us all in the long run.
tmcdonald

Re: Rediscovery of device

Post by tmcdonald »

Can you elaborate on this? I assume you're talking about network devices.

Have you looked at our commercial product Nagios XI? It was designed to eliminate a lot of these types of problems and be much faster and easier to maintain.

http://www.nagios.com/products/nagiosxi/
Former Nagios employee
dflick

Post by dflick »

I have been using XI for a long time. I thought you could not access this forum without an XI subscription. Please see my recent posts for an explanation of the problems here:
http://support.nagios.com/forum/viewtop ... 16&t=32377

I am still needing help on the fallout from this process on this thread:
http://support.nagios.com/forum/viewtop ... 16&t=32381

If I am doing something wrong, please let me know. I still have 95 more to do (100 total) and the process takes 30 minutes per device! We have to pay a senior engineer to make these changes at a cost of $75 per hour which will cost us approximately $3750.00 to make the required changes that I could pay a junior admin at $35/hr to do on our other system which takes him 10 minutes per device for a total cost of $580.00.

Even the MVP that helped me with this issue in the former post said it is complicated.

Thanks!
jdalrymple
Skynet Drone

Post by jdalrymple »

Take a look at this thread and tell me if it sounds like what you're seeking is the same as this fellow. If so you'll note "the solution" is coming in the next major XI release.
dfmco

Post by dfmco »

It does not match exactly but depending on how it is implemented, it may do the trick.
jdalrymple
Skynet Drone

Post by jdalrymple »

I think it is the spot - as long as the bit about "changing" interfaces is handled delicately so you don't have to modify RRDs etc to keep your perfdata. I'll pass that concern along to the devs.
dfmco

Post by dfmco »

Any word on if/when this functionality may be added? The post referenced was made in Feb of 2015. Some of the information in there has allowed me to a bit of a work around but it is still very manual. Please let me know.

Thanks! You guys do really great work!
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

I think we ran into some issues that caused it not to be included by the time XI 5 was released. Some related to the component itself, others just relating to workload in general. I've asked the devs for an update, but unfortunately at this time it's not looking to be a front-burner issue.
Former Nagios employee