Network Switch-Router Wizard and Templates

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
brdr

Network Switch-Router Wizard and Templates

Post by brdr »

Hi Nagios,

I was happy to see the new release (XI 5) make use of templates in the Switch/Router Wizard. I have dozens of devices to add with thousands of service checks to be created for these devices. After using the new XI 5 wizard using templates i was sad to see it wasn't what I expected. Perhaps there is a work-around...

I think a better approach would have been to give the user, when using this wizard, the ability to choose from existing service templates for port status and port bandwidth. The problem with new wizard/templates is that you have to put in check and alert settings. After the wizard is run you now have those check and alert settings in a individual services. So, when we are done running wizard,creating thousands of ports/bandwidth checks we still have an issue with managing configuration. What if we wanted to change the check setting 'check interval' for all port statuses? We would then have to bulk modify all. What if we wanted to 'check interval' different for port status and bandwidth? Having the ability to assign 'xiwizard_switch_port_status_service' or 'xiwizard_switch_port_bandwidth_service', and using the check/alert settings in these templates there is no issue with configuration management.

My 2 cents
:)

Another option is to include a tab called 'Templates' in Managing Templates for Wizards. Then, leave the 'Monitoring', 'Notifications', and 'Groups' empty - letting the template pick up these things.
hsmith
Agent Smith

Re: Network Switch-Router Wizard and Templates

Post by hsmith »

So if I'm understanding this completely right, you want to be able to assign a template to a route/switch wizard when you run it, so that you can adjust the interval for that switch easily? Or do you want a global one that all switched get assigned to? Maybe an option on page 5?

I'd be happy to put in a feature request for you, I just want to make sure I'm understanding your request correctly.
Former Nagios Employee.
me.
brdr

Post by brdr »

I personally want a global template. One that you can assign to all ports status, and another you want to assign to ports bandwidth. The wizard today, and in previous releases already uses the global templates for both; xiwizard_switch_port_status_service and xiwizard_switch_port_bandwidth_server.

Yes, the believe the option on page 5 would be great!

Thanks Agent Smith!
brdr

Post by brdr »

If you need any help to test new feature please let me know and I can test for you.
hsmith
Agent Smith

Post by hsmith »

I do have a question about how you would like this implemented. If you have a global template that affects all switches, couldn't that be problematic? Some switches are going to see heavier levels of traffic than others, and some may be more important than others, etc, etc...
Former Nagios Employee.
me.
brdr

Post by brdr »

We use 2 global templates for Network Devices only - 1 for port status, 1 for port bandwidth.

There might be an easier solution to this.

In the Network/Switch Wizard I need to leave blank the Check, Alert, and Groups settings blank. I leave blank because this wizard inserts template 'xiwizard_switch_port_status_service ' for port service checks. Same for bandwidth. It is this template Check,Alert, and Group settings is what I need.

The problem is that when I leave the Check,Alert, and Groups setting blank (Steps 3-5) in the Wizard I get the error invalid check interval... What I want is the Wizard to be smart enough to see that the template it is assigned has these settings. Can this be done?

It would save steps in having to Bulk Modify all these to blank so that settings are driven by template.

Thx
hsmith
Agent Smith

Post by hsmith »

I understand what you're asking for now. I'll go ahead and put in a FR for you. :)
Former Nagios Employee.
me.
hsmith
Agent Smith

Post by hsmith »

FR 7658 has been submitted.
Former Nagios Employee.
me.
brdr

Post by brdr »

Thank you! Sorry wasn't too clear first time.
rkennedy

Post by rkennedy »

No problem, i'll leave this thread open so that you can check back on it with time. Please only reply when you're looking for an update.
Former Nagios Employee