Network Switch-Router Wizard and Templates

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
brdr

Re: Network Switch-Router Wizard and Templates

Post by brdr »

Hi, is it possible to get an update on this request?

Thx
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

This does appear to have been canceled, unfortunately. Which feature requests to implement are determined by the development team, and not all of them make the cut (for various reasons).
Former Nagios employee
brdr

Post by brdr »

Hi Trevor, can we revisit this please.

After running Network Switch / Router wizard the service checks (ports status/bandwidth) maintenance becomes a extreme burden. The wizard walks you through Monitor Settings (check interval, retry interval, etc...) but in the end of it there are templates for port status 'xiwizard_switch_port_status_service' and bandwidth 'xiwizard_switch_port_bandwidth_service' that are burned into the checks because of code in 'switch.inc.php' via the wizard. It is monitor settings in these templates I want to use not wizard's Monitor settings.

It would seem easy to alter the wizard to ask if you want to use Monitor Settings in the wizard or the templatized settings. it would be much easier to manage template changes than a couple thousand port/bandwidth checks. :-)

Thx
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

As Trevor already mentioned, the support team has very little say in the development cycle. We aren't developers, and do not set the strategic vision for the software.

Since the devs have rejected this feature request, is there a reason you need to use the wizards at all instead of just templates? If you need to do things in bulk, there's the Bulk Modification Tool in the CCM and also the API.
brdr

Post by brdr »

Yes, I do need to use the wizard because many of devices use most of the interfaces that are available. For example, I added a cisco switch yesterday that have about 400 interfaces. By using the wizard it scans the interfaces, pulls the alias/description/speed/status of the all ports. Doing this by hand is next to impossible. In nagios we have few thousand network ports already that we need to manage.

In terms of your Bulk Modifications question.. we use bulk mods after the wizard completes. There are about 10 different settings (check/alert) that we need to set the value to 'blank' via bulk mod so the template settings gets used. If we are able to pick a template for the wizard to use, and use its settings, then we do not have to bulk mod anything. That's the first piece. The second piece is trying manage the settings for the large number of individual interfaces.
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

That wizard resides at /usr/local/nagiosxi/html/includes/configwizards/switch/, so you could modify it to your needs. Unfortunately, the developers have decided this is not something they are going to do.

Please be aware that this will get overwritten on updates, so the best thing to do would be to download the wizard, make modifications, re-zip it, and re-upload as a custom wizard.
brdr

Post by brdr »

Hi dwhitfield,

I'm ok modifying the new switch.inc.php but I haven't found where this php code touches the settings; such as; check interval, Retry interval, Max Check Attempts, Check Period, Notification Period, Notification interval... If you could point me in the code where these settings are manipulated in switch.inc.php then I can change there.

Thanks for your help.
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

Those settings, check interval, Retry interval, Max Check Attempts, Check Period, Notification Period, Notification interval... are set by the wizard when it runs by applying a template to the service checks and that template has those options set..

When the wizard is run, it used this template for the Port Status checks
xiwizard_switch_port_status_service

and it uses this one for the Port Bandwidth checks.
xiwizard_switch_port_bandwidth_service

If you want to change the check interval, notification settings, etc, you would edit those templates and that will change the settings for existing and future devices created by the wizard.

One thing to note, the Bandwidth for the ports are calculated from the RRD files the MRTG process creates and those files are updated every 5 minutes so if you change the check interval, the bandwidth will not be calculated correctly.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
brdr

Post by brdr »

Hi tgriep,

the switch templates settings (port and bandwidth settings) are ignored upon running the wizard. This is the problem.

The settings inside the wizard (not template setting behind the scenes) are used - overriding the templates.
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

Sorry, I assumed those settings came from the template and not the Wizard.
But, You could create a Wizard Template with the defaults set the way you want.
Then, every time you run the wizard, on Step 3, you can select that template by clicking on the Gear icon and those options will be set.
Take a look at this document that describes how to create a Wizard template and how to use it.
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!