Preparation Scripts/Features

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
cwscribner

Preparation Scripts/Features

Post by cwscribner »

The Idea: Included scripts or built in GUI functions that allow a full export based on what the needs of the user is.

The Use: I would imagine that the majority of Nagios users started out with a small installation on modest hardware. Because of the obvious effectiveness of Nagios, one would always want to monitor more and thusly require better hardware (especially in enterprise instances). The feature that I've described would be sort of an all inclusive module in the GUI for wrapping up all of the required Nagios pieces into a single archive for easy portability. The module would have an option for things like "Basic Backup", "Move Nagios XI to a new server", "Recurring Backup", "Upgrade". I'm sure there's more than could be included but those are just off the top of my head. Each of these options would provide the required files to untar in a different location and be up and running again quickly. In addition to a backup, the "Move Nagios" option would include a script to auto-install Nagios and import the backup immediately. I think the enterprise implication for this feature would be immense, and extremely helpful for large installations with several servers.