SNMP interface counters

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
geewiss

SNMP interface counters

Post by geewiss »

I have Nagios Core monitoring all Cisco interfaces in our infrastructure for interface errors and have some existing switch interfaces that have errors. Nagios does an excellent job (as expected) and warned on these errors. Since the errors were not incrementing, I went into the switch and cleared interface counters thinking the next time that Nagios querired (via SNMP) that the errors would reflect zero which is what the interface now shows. Well that's not the case....it seems that the SNMP counters on the Cisco's and the interface errors have separate counters. I can't find a way to clear the SNMP stats other than a reboot.

I researched and so far everything I read says you cannot clear the SNMP counters other than a reboot. Is that really true??? I find it hard to believe that I can't issue a command to reset the SNMP counters. This causes a big issue for my Nagios plan of monitoring via the check_snmp command. Does anyone have another way of monitoring interface errors via Nagios?

Any input greatly appreciated.
tgriep
Madmin

Re: SNMP interface counters

Post by tgriep »

Try this plugin and see if this one will work for you.
http://nagios.manubulon.com/snmp_int.html
Since you cannot clear the counters without rebooting, this plugin will store the previous checks error output, compare it with the current check and and output an alert it the errors count has incremented.
Try that and see if this will work for you.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!