Map for services/dependencies

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
pelle_viktor

Map for services/dependencies

Post by pelle_viktor »

I think the map can be used for more than just hosts. It would be really useful to have a choice of showing services on the map and their parent/relationships or service dependencies. We have for example a lot of services that depends on other hosts/services. If the service fail I would like to bring up the map, select the service and directly see why the service fails (maybe another host or service is down).
kyang

Re: Map for services/dependencies

Post by kyang »

Hi @pelle_viktor,

Assuming you are relating this to Nagios XI, there is something called NagVis that is already on XI and you just have to configure its capabilities.
It maps out your parent/child relations of hosts and services that are configured with Nagios XI. Here is the documentation on it.

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf

Also, check our more Addons for Maps on Nagios Exchange.

https://exchange.nagios.org/directory/A ... d-Diagrams

Hope this helps!
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

kyang wrote: Assuming you are relating this to Nagios XI
This would be really useful information to have. It's best to post in either the Nagios Core or Nagios XI forum depending on which application you are using. I'm happy to move this thread once we know.

For clarity, @kyang is correct. Thanks @kyang!
pelle_viktor

Post by pelle_viktor »

Hello,

I apologies for being not clear. This is for Nagios Core. But I can see that Nagvis is available for Core as well which is good. I just though that maybe it would be a nice feature for native Nagios Core?
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

pelle_viktor wrote:Hello,

I apologies for being not clear. This is for Nagios Core. But I can see that Nagvis is available for Core as well which is good. I just though that maybe it would be a nice feature for native Nagios Core?
Thanks for the feedback. Core is designed to be lean, but easily extended. So it is unlikely this would get added directly to Core, NagVis as well as many other option will always be easily added to extend the capabilities of Core for those who wish to do so.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
pelle_viktor

Post by pelle_viktor »

scottwilkerson wrote:
pelle_viktor wrote:Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. Core is designed to be lean, but easily extended. So it is unlikely this would get added directly to Core, NagVis as well as many other option will always be easily added to extend the capabilities of Core for those who wish to do so.
Thanks for the reply, I'll look into adding NagVis to my setup. You can close this thread. Have a nice day!
bolson

Post by bolson »

Closing topic as resolved.

Thank you for using the Nagios Support Forum.