twilio sms api

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
glaw

twilio sms api

Post by glaw »

I currently manage my nagios machines and use the @vtext.com email address for my sms alerts

verizon doesn't always deliver these messages quickly, so I have written some of my own custom scripting to use the twilio sms api to send messages and it seems much quicker - would like to see some alternate notification methods built into nagious
johndoe

Re: twilio sms api

Post by johndoe »

+1 I had to modify nagios to allow me to send using clickatell.

I believe clickatell is the most used SMS API so would be good to see support for this out of the box.
Nagios XI 2012R2.8c Running on Ubuntu 12.04 Using 99% passive checks for monitoring
Monitoring nearly 800 Passive services spread through roughly 40 machines
Running on an 8 core, KVM virtualized VM, with 15 GB of RAM and using RAMDisk
tapgateway

Post by tapgateway »

I saw this post was interested to see if I could make a component to integrate the Twilio SMS API with Nagios XI. This is what I came up with if you'd like to try it:

http://www.tapgateway.com/files/smsapi.zip

If this looks like something that is usable for Twilio, I'll look at adding other APIs.
johndoe

Post by johndoe »

Tapgateway, first of all thanks for taking the time to develop this, any chance you can include clickatell on this? would be much appreciated by many i'd guess.
Nagios XI 2012R2.8c Running on Ubuntu 12.04 Using 99% passive checks for monitoring
tapgateway

Post by tapgateway »

Johndoe, I will look at doing that. I was really hoping for some feedback from the Twilio users, but so far, none. I don't use either (I use TAP), so I've only sent a few messages with a Twilio trial account. I look at Clickatell next week and maybe we can get some feedback.
tapgateway

Post by tapgateway »

Johndoe, the 0.2 version I just uploaded should work with Twilio and Clickatell. Let me know what you think and if you have any problems, suggestions, comments, etc.

http://www.tapgateway.com/files/smsapi.zip
johndoe

Post by johndoe »

Sorry man, all that did was a 500 error on my nagiosxi... gladly snapshotted the machine before and reverted it back...
tapgateway

Post by tapgateway »

It would be very helpful if you could post exactly what was on your screen, as I'm not sure what a "500 error" is.
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

500 is usually a file-type error, but I tried the link and it was working for me...
tapgateway

Post by tapgateway »

There was an earlier version of the zip file that was missing the recently added Clickatell module. If you have not downloaded the file the past few days, you need to download it again and install it again. I believe that is what is probably causing the error 500... missing PHP file.