how can i force send v2 packet?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
f1outsourcing

how can i force send v2 packet?

Post by f1outsourcing »

My logs are overflowing with these statements, and until these hosts are upgraded i would like to send the v2 packet, how do i configure that?

Sep 27 11:35:46 syslog1 check_nrpe: Remote 192.168.10.201 does not support Version 3 Packets
Sep 27 11:35:46 syslog1 check_nrpe: Remote 192.168.10.201 does not support Version 3 Packets
Sep 27 11:35:47 syslog1 check_nrpe: Remote 213.124.14.114 does not support Version 3 Packets
Sep 27 11:35:47 syslog1 check_nrpe: Remote 213.124.14.114 does not support Version 3 Packets
kyang

Re: how can i force send v2 packet?

Post by kyang »

Hey @f1outsourcing,

Reading a kb article on v3 compatibility,
https://support.nagios.com/kb/article.php?id=516

It would be something like this,

Code: Select all

When the NRPE v3 client first establishes a connection, it tries with the v3 packet. This results in the older client rejecting the request. Upon receiving the rejected request the plugin will then attempt to connect with the v2 packet. This request will succeed however errors are produced in the log on the client and the Nagios server.

The options you have to stop the errors are:

1.Upgrade the client to v3
     - This will stop the errors
2.Force the plugin to send v2 packets
   - Using the -2 argument will force the plugin to connect with v2 packets
     /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -2 -H centos12
Trying passing -2 before the -H <host ip> and see if that works, also the kb article has a good explanation as to why.
Here's an example,

Code: Select all

usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -2 -H 192.168.x.xxx -c <check>
Lastly, you posted this into the Nagios Idea's. Are you using Nagios Core or Nagios XI, so I can correctly move this thread into the right topic.

Let us know if this helps!
f1outsourcing

Post by f1outsourcing »

Just getting back to thank you for this. We have been running it for a while and it gives a lot less logging on our syslog server.

We are running the default nagios that comes with the CentOS6 and CentOS7 repositories.
kyang

Post by kyang »

Sounds good!

Is this resolved? Are we okay to close this thread?

Or did you have any more questions?