Receive only critical alerts from a remote server?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
aaronvan

Receive only critical alerts from a remote server?

Post by aaronvan »

I'm new to Nagios. We want to monitor--from Washington State--several remote Land Mobile Radio servers and routers in Alaska. They are currently running Centerity (but I can install Nagios.) However, our connection is a narrow satellite link from Alaska to Houston and bandwidth is precious. I have an idea to run the Nagios server locally and continuously monitor connectivity (ping) and heartbeat, but it would only utilize the sat link to send a critical event alert to the front-end. Here is a (very simple) Google slide of what I am trying to accomplish: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/ ... sp=sharing. Feel free to add/edit the slide if you want.

So it is possible to configure the local Nagios server to send only user-specific events to a remote front-end? Would I need XI or will Core suffice? Any advice or guidance is appreciated. Thanks.
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Re: Receive only critical alerts from a remote server?

Post by dwhitfield »

I'm not sure what you are trying to do. You talk about just doing criticals, but then you start talking about users.

You can do both if I understand, but for clarity "users" is an XI term and "contacts" is a Core term.
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... tions.html

For example, the below has notification_options and contact_groups:

Code: Select all

define host {
    host_name                       bogus-router
    address                         192.168.1.254
    check_command                   check-host-alive
    check_interval                  5
    retry_interval                  1
    max_check_attempts              5
    check_period                    24x7
    contact_groups                  router-admins
    notification_interval           30
    notification_period             24x7
    notification_options            d,u,r
}
That's a host, so it has down, up, and recovery, rather than "critical" (which is for services), but service configs look similar.
aaronvan

Post by aaronvan »

dwhitfield wrote:I'm not sure what you are trying to do. You talk about just doing criticals, but then you start talking about users.
My bad, I meant a "generic" critical rather than a Critical. Language matters. Yea, I don't know enough to properly ask the question but you're example helps. I'll do some research over the weekend.
kyang

Post by kyang »

Sounds good,

Let us know if you have any more questions!
aaronvan

Post by aaronvan »

I hope this is more clarifying. As I said we have several remote Linux servers and Cisco routers in Alaska. My task is to simply monitor the host’s status (u,d,r) utilizing the absolute minimum bandwidth and display the dashboard (a minimalist dashboard would work if there is one) at our Washington site. As you can see from the diagram, our satellite link is a real bottleneck. Is it possible to configure the Nagios server to update the dashboard only when a host status changes? Maybe there is a better way to achieve this. Any input is appreciated.
Attachments
Link_diagram.pdf
(65.73 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@aaronvan, So you'd probably have a Nagios Server in Alaska monitoring site A and site B, and you can configure it to send the results to another Nagios server in Washington via snmp traps. SNMP traps can be sent from Alaska to Washington only when a service check goes into critical, therefore minimizing a bandwidth data consumption. Nagios server in Washington would incorporate the results inside the dashboard that you could later import to the website.
Another solution would be to create a dashboard on the Nagios Server in Alaska and reroute that dashboard's URL to a public ip. So that later you could use it on the website inside the iframe.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.