Dedicated Field/Macro for Warning and Critical Level

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
optionstechnology

Dedicated Field/Macro for Warning and Critical Level

Post by optionstechnology »

One of the most common requests from my customers is to see the warning / critical threshold levels - as these are all $ARGS$ and not always in the same arg it can be very difficult to give them that information without having to manually write it all out from the config

I think it would be great to have a dedicated field on the service check for Warning and Critical level - one that we can reference in the check itself like a macro-
service.png
This would allow you to pass the value though to the front end:
display.png
I'm sure it would also be very useful for the API
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: Dedicated Field/Macro for Warning and Critical Level

Post by scottwilkerson »

This is an interesting idea that I'll pass along, however because every plugin and command is setup differently (and customizable by each user) the execution of this does seem a daunting task.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
rkennedy

Post by rkennedy »

I realize this won't provide the visualization, but as a standard, have you thought about assigning $USERn$ variables as standards for base alerting logic with your standard set of services, rather than $ARGn$?
Former Nagios Employee
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

Actually, many large customers that want to accomplish what you want to do, use free variables and apply them to the service template, then they get applied to all the services but can be overridden by using different values on the service configuration.

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... tvars.html

In XI these can be set on the Misc tab when editing a service or service template
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com