Multiple XI contacts tied to single XI user account?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
yo_marc

Multiple XI contacts tied to single XI user account?

Post by yo_marc »

My feature idea: Add ability to associate a new/second Contact to an existing User login in Nagios XI.

My use case:

I have my standard XI user account and a Contact which is set to receive all types of alerts for Host/Services I subscribe to. I use that for servers which I am immediately responsible for. I would like to setup a second Contact for myself, which will only receive more urgent alerts, like Critical Service or Host down alerts. I'd use that to subscribe to systems where I only need to be involved if it's urgent. I setup a second Contact, but I can only use the much more basic alert mechanisms, "notify-host-by-email" and "notify-service-by-email". I would like to retain the standard, full XI alert functionality and formatting offered by "xi_host/service_notification_handler". Instead of creating another semi-redundant User account for myself, I would like to be able to associate my second Contact with my normal User account.

I don't think that's possible today. Ideally I would offer this at a larger scale to the 130 or so users I have on my XI server. I would rather not have to add more user accounts to manage.

Is this a feasible feature?
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: Multiple XI contacts tied to single XI user account?

Post by scottwilkerson »

This is currently not possible but I can mention it to the developers for possible addition.

It sounds like you have a good grasp of the current capabilities and what would be required.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
yo_marc

Post by yo_marc »

Thanks Scott! I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask you guys ;)
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

yo_marc wrote:Thanks Scott! I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask you guys ;)
No problem
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com