Nagiosbpi suggestions

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
liam.odonnell@dit.ie

Nagiosbpi suggestions

Post by liam.odonnell@dit.ie »

I have an opensuse installation where nagios comes as part of the distribution ... which is nice, as updates are handled automatically. However nagiosbpi is not part of the distribution, which means it has to be installed separately from the nagios site.

:idea: 1) Is there any way the nagiosbpi install can detect an existing nagios core installation and install itself in the appropriate folder(s)?
:idea: 2) Is there any plan to take the group entries in the nagios core cfg files and use them as a starting point in nagiosbpi rather than recreating a separate config file with the same groups in nagiosbpi? The nagiosbpi could simply be a wrapper for the cfg files from nagios core, ie avoiding the problems assocaited with duplicate entries.
:idea: 3) part 2) should come with an option to refresh the nagiosbpi config files from nagios core.
Regards
Liam
mguthrie

Re: Nagiosbpi suggestions

Post by mguthrie »

1. This is primarily a packaging issue, and currently that just needs a community member to build a package for it for OpenSuse. The packaged version of Core for OpenSuse is done completely by the community, so we don't actually maintain any control over it. If someone wanted to update the Core package to automatically include BPI there's nothing stopping them from doing so.

2, 3. This is actually built into the new version of BPI that we've been developing for the 2012 release of Nagios XI. It'll be a little while before these changes are applied to the community version though.
http://labs.nagios.com/2011/12/02/nagios-bpi-v2-0-beta/
liam.odonnell@dit.ie

Post by liam.odonnell@dit.ie »

Sounds good,

One additional suggestion:

:idea: the core nagios view provides an ability to sort columns, (eg sort by status) will this facility be included in the v2 of nagiosbpi ?

One bug noticed.

:( windows server C:\drive test labelled as "C:\ Drive Space". Ocassionally after an edit in another part of the file is saved. The config file loses the '\' in the label and becomes 'C: Drive Space', resulting in config file error. Editing to include the '\' again fixes the problem until next time.

:?: Would it be possible to be part of the beta testing for the Core release of nagiosbpi v2?

Regards
Liam
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

the core nagios view provides an ability to sort columns, (eg sort by status) will this facility be included in the v2 of nagiosbpi ?
The sort in 2.x works a bit differently, it sorts problem members to the top by "weight," so clicking the sort button will pop critical and down items to the top, followed by warning, then unknown/unreachable.
windows server C:\drive test labelled as "C:\ Drive Space". Ocassionally after an edit in another part of the file is saved. The config file loses the '\' in the label and becomes 'C: Drive Space', resulting in config file error. Editing to include the '\' again fixes the problem until next time.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep an eye out for this and see what I can do.
Would it be possible to be part of the beta testing for the Core release of nagiosbpi v2?
Currently I haven’t ported the changes to the Core version of BPI quite yet. I probably rewrote almost 50% of the code for the new version, so it may be a bit before I have the 2.0 community version ready. However, I’ve got you down as a interested beta tester for when it gets there. Thanks for the offer!
rajeswarich

Post by rajeswarich »

:) Hi,

:cry: I have some doubts in Nagios BPI.. Can anyone help me through this... :)
:?: Can nagios send notifications to only a particular service which is in critical or wraining state, in a group?
If possible... How?

:?: What are the advantages of Nagios BPI in nagios?
:?: Except creating groups is their any use of Nagios BPI?

Please help me with these Questions... :|
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

Why don't you take a look through the documentation on BPI, it should help explain some of what it does. Some users have the need to monitor their business processes as a collective group of hosts or services. If checks are created against BPI groups, then Nagios will send alerts based on the group's state.

http://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nagi ... _Addon.pdf
rajeswarich

Post by rajeswarich »

Thank you... :)