Nagios Mobile to Measure Cellular Networks QoE-Phone Probes

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
adya12

Nagios Mobile to Measure Cellular Networks QoE-Phone Probes

Post by adya12 »

I have a project to measure Mobile User Experience (QoE). I want to have several groups of phones collecting information about the network performance. This information must be sent by the phone to an application server where we can manipulate the information to troubleshoot network issues.

Each phone will execute a set of tests to evaluate the user experience, then all these results will be gathered into a summary report that will be sent to the server where there will be a GUI to process this data and change it into a useful report that will lead us to smart decisions in order to improve Network Performance.

In addition, we want to use this application to correlate de QoS (KPI) with real user experience. In this way, we can properly define the right values and thresholds that we must have in the network.

After reading your documentation I'm not clear if this mobile app, can do exactly what I'm looking for. For instance, there are some commercial apps, like IQ Insight (Carrier IQ), MQA (Nokia) & Mobile QoE Robots (Witbe), focused on this specific task.

So far, we have a tool for this specific purpose, but the phones cannot work properly because of processing time requirements from the software, so It's not possible to measure a proper QoE because the software itself crash the performance down.

So, can you please confirm that Nagios Mobile, or any other product you have, can fit our requirements?

Regard.
mguthrie

Re: Nagios Mobile to Measure Cellular Networks QoE-Phone Pro

Post by mguthrie »

Nagios Mobile is simply a mobile web interface for Nagios, there is no nagios server on the actual phone. If you wanted to accomplish something like that you're describing with Nagios, you'd have to create a set of custom passive checks on the mobile devices and then push the results to a Nagios server.