User authentication and switch

Information and discussions relating to the Nagios Mobile addon.

User authentication and switch

Postby r0tty » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:53 am

Hi,

Through browsing this forum I've just discovered Nagios Mobile. It took about 15 minutes to get working on my BlackBerry and iPhone - great! :lol:

However, I have two questions that I don't know the answer to:

#1 can I authenticate with LDAP like I usually do with Nagios? I tried copying the LDAP config from nagios.conf to nagiosmobile.conf in /etc/httpd/conf.d, but it didn't work. It would be good to have it confirmed that it doesn't work though.

#2 How can I switch users on my mobile device? Actually I have this issue on my browser PC - once signed into Nagios it is not possible to sign out and sign back in as a different user. The work around is to close the browser because then I get asked to authenticate again. But with Nagios Mobile I don't see how to sign out or close the browser so I'm stuck signed in as the first user I picked, when I want to swap to another.

Rotty

PS, in case it is not clear and bugging anyone I have some generic accounts in addition to LDAP/AD intergration. I used one of the generic accounts that comes from a htpasswd.users to sign in on my mobile device.
r0tty

Re: User authentication and switch

Postby abrist » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:37 pm

#1. Maybe, are you using XI or core?

#2. The basic auth credentials are not only stored wit hthe session, but is also cached. Log out, clear the cache. Unfortunately, there really is no other way with basic auth.
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
abrist
Red Shirt

Postby r0tty » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:50 am

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. :)

#1 I'm using Core 3.5.0. I have the local and LDAP/AD accounts working through a normal web browser. The local users work for Nagios Mobile, but the LDAP/AD users do not (even though I have imported the LDAP config from nagios.cfg to nagiosmobile.cfg).

#2 I think I'm missing something obvious on this one... on my mobile device how do I log out? I'm running 'Good' on an iphone to connect to my company intranet. I cannot close the browser within 'Good' (there is no way I can find). If I browse to a different page and then return to the Nagios Mobile URL the original credentials are still cached.

Rotty
r0tty

Postby lmiltchev » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:09 am

#1 I'm using Core 3.5.0. I have the local and LDAP/AD accounts working through a normal web browser. The local users work for Nagios Mobile, but the LDAP/AD users do not (even though I have imported the LDAP config from nagios.cfg to nagiosmobile.cfg).

I am not sure if this can be done. Nagios Mobile uses basic authentication.

#2 I think I'm missing something obvious on this one... on my mobile device how do I log out? I'm running 'Good' on an iphone to connect to my company intranet. I cannot close the browser within 'Good' (there is no way I can find). If I browse to a different page and then return to the Nagios Mobile URL the original credentials are still cached.

Probably the only way to do this is to add the username to the URL, such as:
Code: Select all
http://username@<server ip>/nagiosmobile
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
lmiltchev
QA Manager

Postby r0tty » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:59 am

Hi,

I think you're right about LDAP authentication not working, but I don't think that's because it only allows AuthType Basic. I'm only using Basic for the main GUI and that seems to work okay.

You're spot on about the method to put the username in the URL though - works a treat thanks! :D

Regards,
David
r0tty

Postby lmiltchev » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:09 pm

I'm glad I could help! :)

Regarding the LDAP authentication - I am going to talk to our lead developer to look into this. Meanwhile, you can post a feature request on our bug tracker, so that it won't "fall in the cracks".

http://tracker.nagios.com/
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
lmiltchev
QA Manager

Return to Nagios Mobile