network scan, new IP alert

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Network Analyzer, our network traffic and bandwidth analysis solution.
erkanerturk

network scan, new IP alert

Post by erkanerturk »

Hi
we have a need and want to know how can we meet this need with nagios NA.

firstly, we need to find any new device attached to our specified subnets identified as an alarm/or daily report for us. for example a new IP detected on specific network device. ping scan could not deliver healthy results as new device can prevent icmp and be invisible. but network traffic can be analyzed and new IPs can be determined

secondly, we need to keep all known/scanned/learned (from layer 3 network devices) IP addresses in a list. we want to see when they come up in our network, if possible connected network device..

thirdly, we need to have dynamically created network topology of our network

can we meet these requirements with nagios NA/XI ? or any other advices

thanks..
gsmith

Re: network scan, new IP alert

Post by gsmith »

Hi,

Would you be using Nagios Network Analyzer as a standalone ? Or is there a Nagios XI server available to you?

Thanks
erkanerturk

Post by erkanerturk »

I have both products in my environment.
gsmith

Post by gsmith »

Hi,

I believe what you are looking for can be done programmatically, but it is not something we provide
"out-of-the-box".

To give you some ideas:

1. You could run nmap in a script to discover any all ips on your network. Then bump that list
against an api call to the network analyzer that lists the sources you have identified and created
in the NNA. The delta would be the new IPs.

2. You could either use a text file or a database to take the keep track of the "delta"s you
find in step 1 above.

3. There are some graphics packages out there that can create network diagrams. I am not sure if
we expose that ability on any APIs on any of our products. You would also need to decide if you
want just "adds" to your network, or "adds" and "deletions". The ability to do this could take a lot
resources depending on how often you wanted it updated.

If this is something you'd like to see I could put in a Feature Request, but there is no guarantee it
will be accepted.

Thanks