Netflow Sample Rate

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Network Analyzer, our network traffic and bandwidth analysis solution.
t.griffey

Netflow Sample Rate

Post by t.griffey »

Good morning!

Sorry if this question has been asked before, I attempted to search but I couldn't quite find an answer.

If this is in the docs please feel free to tell me to RTFM I must have missed it!

I have a Juniper MX router sending IPFIX data. I know the sample rate from that end (currently 500). Not seeing where to set that in NNA. Does it obtain it automatically by some means of magic or technology?

If not, is there a secret admin page to enter the information?

The reason I'm even looking is the Bps traffic calculation is wrong by a long shot, so, my guess is that NNA is expecting a 1 for 1 sample rate and I'm providing a 1 for 500 sample rate.

We have a lot of traffic (well I think it's a lot) @15Gbps during peak.

Anywho, I'll keep digging through documentation but thought I'd drop this out there and see if anyone else has experience with this?

Thanks in advance!
gsmith

Re: Netflow Sample Rate

Post by gsmith »

Hi,

The sample rate for the graph is a 5 minute lookback however the data that comes into Network Analyzer and
what can be viewed and queried is in real-time. There is no way to change this as it is not configurable.

If you look in /usr/local/nagiosna/var/<device name>/flows you will see the nfcapd files are written every 5 monutes:
-rw-r--r-- 1 nna nnacmd 276 May 17 14:20 nfcapd.202105171415
-rw-r--r-- 1 nna nnacmd 276 May 17 14:25 nfcapd.202105171420

Hope this helps.

Thanks