email notifications

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Pikmin

email notifications

Post by Pikmin »

Hi there,
Can someone assist me with setting up the email monitoring. I'm running core 4.1.1 on Centos 7.
The postfix service is running however I haven't made any changes

Code: Select all

define contact{
        contact_name              nagiosadmin             ; Short name of user
        use                             generic-contact         ; Inherit default values from generic-contact template (defined above)
        alias                           Nagios Admin            ; Full name of user
        email                          nagios@localhost <<***** CHANGE THIS TO YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS ******
        }
Is it enough to change nagios@localhost to my internal exchange address or is there additional steps I need to make
Thanks

I might have posted this in the wrong forum, sorry!
Box293
Too Basu

Re: email notifications

Post by Box293 »

Pikmin wrote:Is it enough to change nagios@localhost to my internal exchange address or is there additional steps I need to make
That will change who the email goes to.

Have a look at the notify-host-by-email and notify-service-by-email commands, this is how the nagios submits the emails.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
Pikmin

Post by Pikmin »

Thanks Box293
I noticed I didn't have mail installed, which mail doesn't return anything
I have installed mailx and it resides in /usr/bin/mail

Does that mean I should add /usr to /bin/mail below:
commands.cfg

Code: Select all

# 'notify-host-by-email' command definition
define command{
	command_name	notify-host-by-email
	command_line	/usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios *****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nState: $HOSTSTATE$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nInfo: $HOSTOUTPUT$\n\nDate/Time:
 $LONGDATETIME$\n" | /bin/mail -s "** $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ Host Alert: $HOSTNAME$ is $HOSTSTATE$ **" $CONTACTEMAIL$
	}

# 'notify-service-by-email' command definition
define command{
	command_name	notify-service-by-email
	command_line	/usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios *****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\n\nService: $SERVICEDESC$\nHost: $HOSTALIAS$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nState: $SERVICESTATE$\n\n
Date/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n\nAdditional Info:\n\n$SERVICEOUTPUT$\n" | /bin/mail -s "** $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ Service Alert: $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE$ **" $CONTACTEMAIL$
	}
EDIT: It appears to be working now, I received my first alert :)
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

Pikmin wrote:Does that mean I should add /usr to /bin/mail below:
Yes, update the command.
Pikmin wrote:EDIT: It appears to be working now, I received my first alert :)
Excellent, happy monitoring :D
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
Pikmin

Post by Pikmin »

Thanks mate :)
Can be closed as solved