Increased payload size of NRPE

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
dpmramesh

Increased payload size of NRPE

Post by dpmramesh »

Currently payload size of NRPE output is 1024 bytes. It is very restrictive and we are not able to transfer some data correctly. Increasing payload size also not helping much because it breaks compatibility with standard NRPE server and client. There is a nice solution explained in the post https://web.archive.org/web/20120309192 ... rge-output. It doesn't break compatibility. It can be easily implemented and can be used without any config change. Can this be fixed in upstream nrpe with the approach explained. This is very important for us because we have implemented nagios monitoring for gluster storage and most of our plug-ins doesn't work without this fix.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ramesh
hsmith
Agent Smith

Re: Increased payload size of NRPE

Post by hsmith »

We do have a feature request in the tracker, but currently this is only seems to only be done on a site by site basis.

http://tracker.nagios.org/view.php?id=564

I'm currently unaware of whether or not this is on the roadmap. We did just hire a new C dev within the past few months, so the feature requests have been seeing some traction lately. If you have anything to add, feel free to post it in the tracker link that I posted above.
Former Nagios Employee.
me.
dpmramesh

Post by dpmramesh »

I see that the issue http://tracker.nagios.org/view.php?id=564 is marked is severity minor. But it is severe since it prevents the whole NRPE functionality in our case. There are two issues here.

1. 1024 payload is small for our workload so we have to increase this.
2. If we increase the payload in our build then it doesn't work with nrpe packages shipped in standard distros like fedora/epel/etc.

So kindly request you to increase severity and priority.

Note: I tried to put a comment in the tracker request but I am not able to register.

Regards,
Ramesh
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

I changed the priority to "high" and the severity to "major".
Note: I tried to put a comment in the tracker request but I am not able to register.
Why are you not able to register? Are you seeing any errors?
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
dpmramesh

Post by dpmramesh »

Hi,
When i give user name and mail id it says successfully registered. But I am not at all getting activation link in my mail.

Regards,
Ramesh
hsmith
Agent Smith

Post by hsmith »

Did you check spam? I'm not aware of issues with this currently.
Former Nagios Employee.
me.
dpmramesh

Post by dpmramesh »

Yes. It was in spam. Now I am able to register.

Thanks.

Regards,
Ramesh
hsmith
Agent Smith

Post by hsmith »

I'll go ahead and lock this one up since you were able to get registered and there is already a feature request/bug report.
Former Nagios Employee.
me.