Contribute to Nagios core

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
harshkhatore

Contribute to Nagios core

Post by harshkhatore »

Hi, I am new to Nagios, I have been using Nagioscore for the last one week to monitor server hardware. We want to implement IPMI over Nagioscore. We need to make some customization to the open source product. Please help me understand how should I start understanding your code and how to work on it. I am using Nagioscore version 4.3.1..
Thank you.
tmcdonald

Re: Contribute to Nagios core

Post by tmcdonald »

The best place to start would be our GitHub page: https://github.com/NagiosEnterprises/nagioscore

The source code is there, and you are free to contribute back changes you make in the form of a Pull Request.

You will need knowledge of the C programming language, and understanding how to manage repositories on GitHub.
Former Nagios employee
harshkhatore

Post by harshkhatore »

Thank you for your reply. But, my concern is how to understand the flow of the program, because all these files in GitHub are scattered. So, how I understand the whole functioning of the product? Thanks :)
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

That's something you will need to figure out on your own :)

Core is a large project, and the only way to learn how it works is to dive in. Without a programming background, I would not recommend making any large changes to an unknown codebase. We don't have any documentation that goes over each file in the codebase.
Former Nagios employee