Nagios Core splitting instances

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
jcass

Nagios Core splitting instances

Post by jcass »

Hi,

I've currently got a large (7000 services) single instance of Nagios Core, version Version 3.2.3 running on CentOS 5.8, (yes i'm planning on updating both), and was wondering how to 'split' the Core in to multiple instances to help distribute the workload, and use a single front-end such as Nagios Fusion or Thruk to 'hold them together'.

I'm not sure what would be the best most scalable solution- to:
. Split the instances on a single virtual machine
. Split the instances over multiple different virtual machines
(opinions?)

I'm planning on organising the multiple Nagios Cores by the things in which they monitor (i.e. connectivity and telephony). Regardless, I'm still not sure how to go from 1 single Nagios Core to many (5/6). Has anyone got any ideas/suggestions/tutorials/documentation?

Thanks!
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Re: Nagios Core splitting instances

Post by dwhitfield »

jcass wrote: . Split the instances on a single virtual machine
Can you explain the reasoning behind this, because this doesn't make any sense to me. If those are your only two options, then I guess you have my suggestion.

If you were thinking about using containers, then maybe. You can, of course, build containers that will work, but our support is not really set up to deal with containers. If you want to be the trailblazer, it'd be great if you post any findings so others can learn from it!
jcass

Post by jcass »

dwhitfield wrote: Can you explain the reasoning behind this
Thanks for your reply. Pretty sure the solution is going to be to split it over multiple servers, but will share the results regardless.

Have you any advice on the best process to split the current 1 Nagios Core?
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

We don't really have any documentation on how to do the split. If you have multiple physical locations, then that's an obvious way to do it.

If you have some Windows, Linux, UNIX, whatever, that might be another obvious way to split things.

We do offer Fusion (https://www.nagios.com/products/nagios-fusion/) as a commercial product to pull all the Core's together, but you can also just forward to a central server if you want centralization. Fusion does come with a free trial, so if you have any money in the budget at all, you might as well take a look and see if it's something that would be useful.
jcass

Post by jcass »

That's great, thank-you for your help
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

It sounds like this issue has been resolved. Is it okay if we lock this thread? Thanks for choosing the Nagios forums!