check_by_ssh issues running remote Python script

This forum is intended for the discussion of Nagios plugin development. Feature requests, patches, bug fixes, and all types of development-related discussions are welcome!

NOTE: The SourceForge.net nagiosplug-devel mailing list has been deprecated in favor of this forum in order to expedite support and provide additional features not available on the old mailing list.

check_by_ssh issues running remote Python script

Postby andrewmoore » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:24 am

Hi All,

I have a Raspberry Pi with a temperature sensor connected via GPIO. To pull the data from the sensor I use the following Python script (get-temp.py).

Code: Select all
#!/usr/bin/python3

import sys, Adafruit_DHT

sensor = Adafruit_DHT.AM2302
pin = 4

temperature = round(Adafruit_DHT.read_retry(sensor, pin)[1],2)

if temperature is not None:
        sys.stdout.write('Temperature = {0}°C|{0};;;;'.format(temperature))
        sys.exit(0)
else:
        sys.stdout.write('Failed to get reading.')
        sys.exit(3)

If I run the script remotely using the standard SSH command it's fine:
bash-4.2$ ssh monitoring@172.16.1.101 -i /etc/icinga2/secure/monitoring /opt/get-temp.py
Temperature = 25.4°C|25.4;;;;

However, if I run it using the get_by_ssh plugin it returns exit code 1 (which isn't a valid exit code for the script):
bash-4.2$ ./check_by_ssh -l monitoring -i /etc/icinga2/secure/monitoring -C /opt/get-temp.py -H 172.16.1.101 -E
WARNING - check_by_ssh: Remote command '/opt/get-temp.py' returned status 1

I'm not familiar with how get_by_ssh operates. Why would the result be different with the 2 methods above? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
andrewmoore

Re: check_by_ssh issues running remote Python script

Postby tgriep » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:53 pm

Can you run the following command so we can get the version of the check_by_ssh plugin you are running?
./check_by_ssh  -V

Then replace the -E with -v to get a verbose output to see if there are any errors that the -E option is ignoring.
./check_by_ssh -l monitoring -i /etc/icinga2/secure/monitoring -C /opt/get-temp.py -H 172.16.1.101 -v

I had some issues with the degree symbol that the get-temp.py outputs so for a test, try removing that to see if that allows the check to run.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
tgriep
Madmin

Return to Nagios Plugin Development