Novell Server Checks

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Michael.Guido

Novell Server Checks

Post by Michael.Guido »

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any plugin which would help us with our server checks.

1. On our Novell Netware servers (not OES) we check the time sync and replica sync daily. This is done through dsrepair. dsrepair does have the functionality to run it and dump it to a text file, which can be automated through cron or otherwise. Is there something that can read the text file and alert based on parameters, such as an error code in the replica text file or greater than x in the time sync text file?

2. We check the IDM files which resides on the _Netware partition, obviously a hidden partition. We only need to ensure the file size is not above 72 bytes but because it's a hidden share, apparently we can't use conventional plugins. Changing this partition to be unhidden would compromise the security of the OS. Anyone have ideas?

I'm completely willing to accept that these two things are not do-able.

Thank you for your time and expertise.

Yours,
Michael
slansing

Re: Novell Server Checks

Post by slansing »

1. I'd recommend a log file checking plugin such as:

http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Pl ... es/details

Or Nagios log server, of course, Nagios log server would be much more powerful than what is needed for a single check.

2. What do you already use that reports off of this, you could even use something as detached and a plugin to scrape HTML off a web page which is telling you what the size is.
Michael.Guido

Post by Michael.Guido »

Thanks for the reply

Currently during server checks, we connect to the Netware console using AdRem and use the command dsrepair -a to run our checks. My boss would like as much information as we can get on Nagios for a one-stop check.

As far as checking the IDM file sizes, there's not much we can do about that. They reside on a 'hidden' partition in Netware so it's not easily accessible, as far as I'm told.

Yours,
Michael
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

The only other ting I can see as a remote possibility on the "hidden share" is if you had ssh access to the Novell Netware servers you could setup a check that would ssh into the machine and run the command to check the file.

http://library.nagios.com/library/produ ... -using-ssh
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com