plugin sending multiple service check results

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
cbbs70a

plugin sending multiple service check results

Post by cbbs70a »

All;
I am using Nagios 4.1.1 and am monitoring 8 hosts and receiving nearly 8,000 service check results. All my plugins are sending results *passively* using nsca-ng and its working very well. All of the plugins are returning multiple check results so I can get away with calling as few plugins as possible. Some plugins are returning a hundred service check results or more at one time. Now my question is this. Is it possible for a plugin to return multiple service check results at once *actively*? So far I haven't found anything in the documentation that answers my question, but it makes sense to me that if a plugin can send multiple results passively, it should be able to send multiple results actively. Is that true? Any insight at all would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks;
FSD
tmcdonald

Re: plugin sending multiple service check results

Post by tmcdonald »

Possible but not easy. Any active check is going to return one result on its own, but that command could in theory submit things passively from within the active script by whichever method you see fit (usually writing to the command file). So essentially you would have an active dummy/wrapper/shell script that would run and return a bunch of passives, but at that point you may as well skip the active part and just run it as a cron so you don't have to deal with a dummy host/service.
Former Nagios employee