plugin timeout

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
jotagera

plugin timeout

Post by jotagera »

Hi all

I´m using nagiosgraph to view response time of my service checks.

We are using a web browser plugin developed internally in shell script and links.

When this plugin takes too long to terminate, nagios kills it and give me a "Service check timed out after 50.01 seconds" message.

In this situation i can´t receive performance data values and the graph in nagiosgraph got no point on this time.

I tried to solve this problem inside bash script:
i ran the links browser in background and control the timeout in a while loop. If the ackgroung process can´t finish, i kill it and return to nagios the time taken with a timeout message and a exit contition for CRITICAL (2).

But the Nagios can´t survive to this plugin. After some time it´s running, the nagios core stops to proccess results, including the received by nsca.

I can´t see nothing special on nagios logs.

Anyone got some similar behavior?
Anyone can help me with this situation?

Thanks in advance
PS: Sorry my poor english. :)
rkennedy

Re: plugin timeout

Post by rkennedy »

In your nagios.cfg file, you should be able to increase the service_check_timeout variable to be longer than 50 seconds. You could set it to 120 for example.
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... gmain.html

Then, on the individual check, try passing the -t 120 parameter to allow it more time to execute. The -t flag might not be applicable to all plugins, though.

This would allow the check to have 2 minutes to process.
Former Nagios Employee