check for running service

This forum is intended for the discussion of Nagios plugin development. Feature requests, patches, bug fixes, and all types of development-related discussions are welcome!

NOTE: The SourceForge.net nagiosplug-devel mailing list has been deprecated in favor of this forum in order to expedite support and provide additional features not available on the old mailing list.

check for running service

Postby benjamin.john » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:08 pm

i need to be notified when a service stops on a host. does anyone have a linux plugin that allows you to set a critical threshold for a service that stops running? the 'check_services' plugin that comes with nrpe does not have this feature.

thanks in advance!
ben
benjamin.john

Re: check for running service

Postby rkennedy » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:11 pm

You should be able to use check_init_service, which I believe is bundled with NRPE by default - otherwise there are versions if it floating around online. You will probably need to add a sudoers entry for the user that is executing your NRPE checks.
rkennedy

Postby tmcdonald » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:17 pm

Just checking in since we have not heard from you in a while. Did @rkennedy's post clear things up or has the issue otherwise been resolved?
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
tmcdonald
Support Manager

Postby benjamin.john » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:12 pm

Yes, check_init was exactly what I needed. Thanks!
benjamin.john

Postby tmcdonald » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:55 pm

Great to hear! I'll be closing this thread now, but feel free to open another if you need anything in the future.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
tmcdonald
Support Manager

Return to Nagios Plugin Development