problem with nrpe and ubuntu

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
majed

problem with nrpe and ubuntu

Post by majed »

Peace,
I tried to add a command to nrpe.cfg and restart nrpe but on the remote machine it would write

Code: Select all

check_service not defined
i checked if there are other nrpe.cfg files but there aren't. I restarted the server and voila, it worked!
it means the nrpe demon is not restarting on ubuntu.
Version: 2.15
is this a problem with the plugin or should I contact Ubuntu?
Seek and you shall find, knock and it shall be opened, cry and you shall find comfort
npolovenko
Support Tech

Re: problem with nrpe and ubuntu

Post by npolovenko »

Hello,@majed. Are you running nrpe as a service or under xinet.d?

service nrpe status
or
service xinetd status
Can you try to shut down the nrpe from the command line and then turn it back on? Would the services work or say undefined?
I'd also recommend taking a look at the sys log in /var/log. Let us know if you see any nrpe related errors in there.
Have you considered removing the old NRPE and installing a new one(3.2.1)?
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
majed

Post by majed »

I can't stop nrpe, the service keeps running.
I do not want to install nrpe from source as that would need to be updated manually.
I contacted Ubuntu and they said that Ubuntu 16 will not update nrpe, either wait till spring of 2018 for Ubuntu 18 with a new nrpe version or upgrade to Ubuntu 17.0.4 with nrpe version 3.0.1
so I installed a test machine with Ubuntu 17.0.4 and installed nrpe, but it is getting compiled without ssl support. Do you know how to compile nrpe with ssl support using apt-get ?
Seek and you shall find, knock and it shall be opened, cry and you shall find comfort
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@majed, How did you install NRPE on your Ubuntu? Can you provide a link to the manual that you used?
Our manual below uses --with-ssl flag to compile NRPE with SSL.

https://support.nagios.com/kb/article.php?id=515#Ubuntu
Also, what exact command did you run to stop NRPE service? Is your NRPE running under xinetd or as a standalone service?
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.