2 problems?

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
nathanplatt

2 problems?

Post by nathanplatt »

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the cryptic subject but I couldn't figure how to phase this, I have two issues/advice I need help with;

1. The server is behind NAT, so when you add another source it always shows it local IP address not the external one, is there a way to make it show the external when you're added a source?
2. I want to download all the logs from server running Cloudlinux with Plesk Onyx installed, i can see it automatically downloads these, but how do i configure it to get the others as well?

Thanks in advance

Nathan
mcapra

Re: 2 problems?

Post by mcapra »

nathanplatt wrote: The server is behind NAT, so when you add another source it always shows it local IP address not the external one, is there a way to make it show the external when you're added a source?
That's a tricky one. Does the machine sending the logs have a concept of what it's "external address" is? Do the NAT'd servers have some FQDN that resolves to their external address?

If the list of IPs you need to translate from local->external is relatively short, you could leverage a mutate filter probably as a brute-force solution. This becomes impractical with long lists though.
nathanplatt wrote:I want to download all the logs from server running Cloudlinux with Plesk Onyx installed, i can see it automatically downloads these, but how do i configure it to get the others as well?
Not sure what you mean here, though admittedly i'm not very familiar with either platform. What do you mean by "i can see it automatically downloads these"? Are you referring to some part of NLS that automatically grabs logs from these machines?
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
nathanplatt

Post by nathanplatt »

HI,

On the first point i have a port forwarded to the external IP address, when you manually run the bash setup_linux.sh script you put the externalip:portnumber and it works fine, just would like a way to automate that for future.

AS with Plesk/Cloudlinux. I'll like to download all the apache logs, fail2ban logs, and mailserver logs from this server but the instructions in Nagios only really guide you down phpmyadmin and apache

Thanks

Nathan
rkennedy

Post by rkennedy »

You'll want to use mutate as @mcapra mentioned. Something like this -

Code: Select all

mutate {
    replace => { "sourceip" => "mynewsourceip" }
  }
You'll need to adjust the sourceip with the field that has the LAN address, and mynewsourceip with the variable that it should be replaced with.
Former Nagios Employee