Wildcards for filtering?

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
bpizzutiWHI

Wildcards for filtering?

Post by bpizzutiWHI »

Just wondering if any wildcard expressions are available for the filtering section of a dashboard? I've got about 48 web servers that I'd like to put into one dashboard, and if I have to I can do an "either" filter for all 48, but I'd really rather not. Besides, any new hosts will follow a similar naming scheme that a wildcard filter should pick up on.
cdienger
Support Tech

Re: Wildcards for filtering?

Post by cdienger »

The * wildcard character can be used in filters but don't use it inside " " quotes unless you want to filter for strings that contain an actual *. You can also use AND OR NOT ( ) - + ! (https://logz.io/blog/kibana-tutorial/) to fine tune a filter.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
bpizzutiWHI

Post by bpizzutiWHI »

Ok, so I'm trying to filter some custom Apache logs by the logsource field, I've got a number of servers named "vmNNnxpNN-cv2" and I want to wildcard the two digit numbers (NN). I've tried both asterisks and question marks, and both seem to be looking for exact matches. I also tried two asterisks, in case the asterisk was representing a single wildcard character for some reason, same result.

However, when I tried this with the "host" field, which is an IP, using 192.168.1.*, THAT seems to work. Any thoughts? I can certainly do it that way thanks to the way we do subnets in this case, but it only seems to work on certain fields?
mcapra

Post by mcapra »

bpizzutiWHI wrote:but it only seems to work on certain fields?
Correct; In this particular case, it largely depends on the underlying data type for a given field. Nagios Log Server dynamically maps all fields to the "best fit" data type and is, in many cases, good at handling IPv4/IPv6 addresses gracefully.

If it were my problem to solve, I'd rig up a grok filter to parse those "vmXXnxpYY-cv2" fields into two distinct fields so I could query them directly.

You can also do regex searches via the GUI (little drop-down next to the search bar, I forget specifically where it is), but I was never able to make them work very well. Perhaps you will have better luck than me :)
Last edited by mcapra on Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
kyang

Post by kyang »

Thanks @mcapra,

@bpizzutiWHI, do you have any more questions or did mcapra's answer work out for you?