Special Character or "-" on username for NLS 2.0

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
esmie

Special Character or "-" on username for NLS 2.0

Post by esmie »

Hi,

Just a quick question on the creation of user logins, was the "-" really solved on NLS 2.0 ? We recently upgraded from 1.4.4 to 2.0.0, and I'm still getting an error "Could not create the user" when creating user accounts with "-".

The following is included on the release notes for 2.0.0
- Fixed issue with usernames with "-" character in them not working [TPS#10229] -JO

Thank you.
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Re: Special Character or "-" on username for NLS 2.0

Post by lmiltchev »

What is the username of the user that you are trying to add? I suspect that you are not having an issue with the "-" but with a space in front of the hyphen or after it. I just retested adding a user with a "-" in the username, e.g. "test-test", and didn't have any issues.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
jkatz

Post by jkatz »

I was about to create a new thread, but my problem seems similar so I'll just add my $0.02.

I have an NLS 2.0 cluster pointing to an LDAP server and have no problems importing users that are all regular characters or have a dash in the username. When it comes to logging in, the all regular username works fine. But a username with a dash throws 'The username specified does not exist.'

And yes, the case is correct in the username. (which is REALLY annoying)

Jonathan
esmie

Post by esmie »

I did try to create test-test, test-abcd and test-account with no errors; but when I entered the real username that needs to be used that's the time I'm getting the error. No spaces in the username and no special character on the password.

To add our NLS is integrated with LDAP, but for testing purposes, I am only creating local user accounts.

What are the accepted characters for username and passwords? Does the LDAP integration settings affect the account creation in NLS?
mcapra

Post by mcapra »

Some good initial information to have would be a current ElasticSearch log (found at /var/log/elasticsearch/*.log). If there's some sort of query issue, it'll show up in there.

Also, the Apache logs (/var/log/httpd).
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@esmie, I just replicated the issue on the latest version of the LS. The password may contain a hyphen, but the hyphenated usernames still do not work. I passed this information to our QA department. As of right now the following characters are not supported in a username: - ~ ! & % $ # @ * ^ ( ) [ ]
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.