Vmware tools on Nagios

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
suresh123

Vmware tools on Nagios

Post by suresh123 »

Hello Team,
Would you please let me know, how do I install/enable VMware tools in nagios
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: Vmware tools on Nagios

Post by scottwilkerson »

suresh123 wrote:Hello Team,
Would you please let me know, how do I install/enable VMware tools in nagios
If you are referring to the pre-configured Log Server VM, these do not have desktop installed and generally they are recommended to run without desktop support.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
mcapra

Post by mcapra »

This is more of a hypervisor question than it is a Nagios Log Server question. As such, I would highly recommend consulting with whoever manages your hypervisor on this matter as they would likely know better than anyone here.

I've seen it installed via the official RPM on-top of a official Nagios Log Server OVA installation without too many problems. However, I don't know your specific environment so I can't guarantee you will have the same results.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

Thanks @mcapra
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
itheodoridis

Post by itheodoridis »

Well that didn't go as described in the article.
The image mounted doesn't contain an rpm
It contains a tar.gz file which when uncompressed contains a perl script for the installation.
I have seen this before and it doesn't always go very well, sometimes this install fails (in SuSE machines i usually leave the os vmware tools - hypervisor shows them as third party).
I will let you know.
Ioannis Theodoridis.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

itheodoridis wrote:Well that didn't go as described in the article.
The image mounted doesn't contain an rpm
It contains a tar.gz file which when uncompressed contains a perl script for the installation.
I have seen this before and it doesn't always go very well, sometimes this install fails (in SuSE machines i usually leave the os vmware tools - hypervisor shows them as third party).
I will let you know.
Ioannis Theodoridis.
A lot of this depends on the Hypervisor.

The article linked above dies have these notes which may change your installation of the tools.
Notes:

If your Linux distribution is not RPM-based, has a custom kernel, or you are running ESX(i) 4.1/5.x in which RPM installer is no longer provided, see Installing VMware Tools in a Linux virtual machine using Compiler (1018414)
The RPM installer for installing VMware Tools on Linux Virtual Machines on ESXi 4.1 and 5.x is no longer bundled with the hypervisor. For more information, see ESXi 4.x / 5.x does not include RPM format for VMware Tools (1024047).
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com