Adding geo location to bettermap

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
goochjs

Adding geo location to bettermap

Post by goochjs »

Hi,

I want to create a visualisation of some data that includes geo-points. They're stored as lat,long in the field [geoip][location].

I add the panel to a row in a dashboard and pick geoip.location as the coordinate field. However, the Save button then doesn't seem to work. I can see from the tooltip that the coordinate field needs to be a geoJSON array but I thought that ElasticSearch sorted that out for you, if a field's mapping was set to be geo-point.

I've checked the mapping definition; it says:-

Code: Select all

"geoip" : {
            "dynamic" : "true",
            "properties" : {
              "location" : {
                "type" : "geo_point"
              }
            }
          }
My data includes the field:-

geoip.location	  	50.400965,-5.103651
Have I misunderstood how geo works? Does my logstash config need to format the lat/long differently? Or is there another reason why bettermap might not work?

Thanks,

J.
cdienger
Support Tech

Re: Adding geo location to bettermap

Post by cdienger »

What do you mean by the save button not working? Can you provide screenshots? What version of NLS is this?

I set up a quick test just using the following filter(your source may be different):

geoip {
source => "clientip"
}

Log stash will take care of parsing and creating the various geolocation fields including geoip.location which can be used in bettermaps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
goochjs

Post by goochjs »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

It's v2.0.1.

This is the sequence of events I follow when trying to set up the report:-

1. – “add panel to empty row

2. – select “bettermap
bm-2.png
3. – give it a name and choose “geoip.location” as “Coordinate Field” (appears in dropdown)
bm-3.png
4. – the “Save” button doesn’t do anything (but “Cancel” works fine)
bm-4.png
The source data comes as a string "lat,lon", which I map to "[geoip][location]" in Logstash (i.e. via a filter in NLS's "Global Config" screen).

J.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

I was able to reproduce this on a 2.0.1 machine. Upgrading to 2.0.4 should resolve the problem:

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... Server.pdf
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
goochjs

Post by goochjs »

Hi,

I'm afraid the upgrade doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Is it possible that it's a problem in the data config? Can you share details of how you recreated the problem in 2.0.1 and saw it resolved in 2.0.4? There's always a chance that the problem is in my chair rather than in the computer.

J.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

goochjs wrote:The source data comes as a string "lat,lon", which I map to "[geoip][location]" in Logstash (i.e. via a filter in NLS's "Global Config" screen).
Can you show how you are doing this in the configs? you generally need to do something like this in the filters

geoip {
        source => 'clientip'
    }
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
goochjs

Post by goochjs »

Thanks for the reply.

It's not an IP address, I've just got "lat,lon" in a string and am mapping it into the field geoip.location.

The data comes in like this:-

GPS Coordinates=51.407416,0.060661 GPS DoP=1
My logstash mapping looks like this:-

GPS Coordinates=%{DATA:[geoip][location]} GPS DoP=%{INT:gps_dop}
That said, however, I realised that it wasn't just bettermap that had a problem. I couldn't even add a simple text panel to a row.

I had been using Chrome, so I then tried IE and I was able to add the panels. Are there any known problems with Chrome?

Now, however, bettermap doesn't ever display anything. It just has a progress bar ticking along. I could see an error at the top, which said "time field must be consistent amongst time filters". My data uses a field called "insert_timestamp" as a record of when the event happened. I clicked on "inspect" on the bettermap and could see two time fields in use:-

"filter": {
        "bool": {
          "must": [
            {
              "range": {
                "@timestamp": {
                  "from": 1534754373686,
                  "to": 1534927173687
                }
              }
            },
            {
              "range": {
                "event_timestamp": {
                  "from": 1534848764231,
                  "to": 1534854681871
                }
              }
            },

I then noticed that I had a query at the top of the dashboard that used @timestamp, so I deleted it and the error went away.

All good progress, but I've still not got a map with my data showing on it. :cry:

J.
Last edited by goochjs on Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

I think the problem is that you are just entering a string as and the field isn't set as a geo_point

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elastic ... point.html

I believe adding the following logstash filter should do it, but you would need to wait until the next index is created after applying the change (tomorrow) or delete the current index

mutate {
    convert => { "[geoip][location]" => "geo_point" }
  }
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
goochjs

Post by goochjs »

I can do that, although I did query the mapping in ElasticSearch and it told me:-

$ curl -XGET 'http://localhost:9200/logstash-2018.08.22/_mapping?pretty' | less

"geoip" : {
            "dynamic" : "true",
            "properties" : {
              "location" : {
                "type" : "geo_point"
              }
            }
          },
So, my assumption was that geoip.location was already a geo_point (in fact, that was why I chose it as the target field - it was already in the index before I added the new dataset).

J.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

Then I'm a little bit at a loss, best I can suggest would be to turn on your browser development tools and see if you get errors in the console when you open the dashboard that might lead in a direction.

I've only ever created maps with the geoip function which I know creates the correct fields.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com