_grokparsefailure_sysloginput tag

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
mgarrity10

_grokparsefailure_sysloginput tag

Post by mgarrity10 »

Hello,

I am trying to feed in a linux server from our DMZ to our local Nagios Log Server and after setting everything up with the Curl command I only get 1 log that shows up with the following message: "\xFF\xF4\xFF\xFD\u0006^]\r\n" in NLS. It has a _grokparsefailure_sysloginput tag attached to it, and I'm not sure if I need to do anything extra so that logs come into NLS normally.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: _grokparsefailure_sysloginput tag

Post by scottwilkerson »

By default, the syslog input only supports RFC3164 syslog messages.

If your sending server isn't sending a compliant message you will get a _grokparsefailure_sysloginput

For this, you may want to create a new tcp or udp input on a different port in the configuration and send your logs to that port

Code: Select all

tcp {
    type => 'alt_syslog'
    port => 2099
}

udp {
    type => 'alt_syslog'
    port => 2099
}
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
mgarrity10

Post by mgarrity10 »

Thanks for the quick response. I am actually using a DMZ relay Nagios Log Server to send all logs from DMZ clients to our local level NAgios Log Server. Could this setup be messing up the syslog format?
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

mgarrity10 wrote:Thanks for the quick response. I am actually using a DMZ relay Nagios Log Server to send all logs from DMZ clients to our local level NAgios Log Server. Could this setup be messing up the syslog format?
Could be, could you elaborate on this setup and configuration on both servers?
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com