Query to extract unique fileds in NLS

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
Sampath.Basireddy

Query to extract unique fileds in NLS

Post by Sampath.Basireddy »

Just checking if the feature request ID 9839 implemented?

If yes, can someone please help with the query to list unique fields?

Thank You
cdienger
Support Tech

Re: Query to extract unique fileds in NLS

Post by cdienger »

This has not been implemented. The post that opened the feature request has a work around though:

https://support.nagios.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40757
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
Sampath.Basireddy

Post by Sampath.Basireddy »

My bad, I was assuming that feature request was to enable querying for unique fields in NLS. My mistake.
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

My previosu post had a bad link. It's corrected now. And in case you don't have access to the customer portal, here is the response:
I can certainly think of a few ways to do this, but there isn't anything built-in to Nagios Log Server (or elasticsearch to my knowledge) that can tackle this very effectively.

In MySQL, you would essentially need to do a COUNT on a nested SELECT DISTINCT to accomplish this. Might look something like this:

Code: Select all

SELECT COUNT(SELECT DISTINCT name FROM table) AS name_count FROM table;

Which would return the total number of distinct "name" items as the "name_count" field. However, there doesn't really exist a COUNT function in elasticsearch that behaves in that fashion. There are options for doing the equivalent of a SELECT DISTINCT and counting the occurrences of those distinct values:

Code: Select all

[root@localhost ~]# curl -XGET 'http://localhost:9200/_all/_search?search_type=count&pretty' -d '{"aggs":{"distinct_name":{"terms":{"field":"name"}}}}'
    {
      "took" : 3,
      "timed_out" : false,
      "_shards" : {
        "total" : 41,
        "successful" : 41,
        "failed" : 0
      },
      "hits" : {
        "total" : 274844,
        "max_score" : 0.0,
        "hits" : [ ]
      },
      "aggregations" : {
        "distinct_name" : {
          "doc_count_error_upper_bound" : 0,
          "sum_other_doc_count" : 0,
          "buckets" : [ {
            "key" : "dave",
            "doc_count" : 6
          }, {
            "key" : "bob",
            "doc_count" : 5
          }, {
            "key" : "alice",
            "doc_count" : 1
          }, {
            "key" : "jeff",
          }, {
            "key" : "kim",
          } ]
        }
      }
    }

What this API call has done is ask for the count of every distinct value for the "name" field. While there are several occurrences of the name "dave" for example, only one single buckets entry is created for "dave" occurrences. Ideally elasticsearch would have some method by which we could tally up the count of unique keys for each bucket, but this functionality does not exist.

It's more of a limitation within elasticsearch than it is Nagios Log Server, though it could be solved within Nagios Log Server. If I had to solve this problem, I would write a PHP script to parse that JSON object as a PHP array and get the size of the buckets array.

I've filed a feature request for this (ID 9839). I can see where that sort of information/alerting would be useful, with the example of "how many unique users are accessing ContentX" coming to mind when considering DDOS detection.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.