NLS to Analyse Threat Avert

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
lukedevon

NLS to Analyse Threat Avert

Post by lukedevon »

Hi

Can we use Nagios LS to analyse Threat Avert (TA) by injecting logs over kafka? If this can be done, can you give me some guide?

For example :

Akamai-Nominum DNS + Kafka Stream ---> NLS (Kafka input)

https://www.akamai.com/uk/en/multimedia ... -brief.pdf

Regards
Luke
cdienger
Support Tech

Re: NLS to Analyse Threat Avert

Post by cdienger »

There is a Kafka input installed on NLS. You can confirm by running " /usr/local/nagioslogserver/logstash/bin/logstash-plugin list | grep kafka" which should return an input and output for Kafka. The plugin is documented at https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstas ... kafka.html.

As far as configuring it to send logs over from TA, we don't have documentation on this and you'll need to refer to TA and Kafka documentation .
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
lukedevon

Post by lukedevon »

Hi,

As I googled, I found the sample input plugin configuration as follows.

input {
kafka {
bootstrap_servers => "localhost:9092"
topics => ["beats"]
}
}

I tried;

kafka {
port => 9092
}

kafka {
bootstrap_servers => 9092
}

But these syntaxes are not acceptable for Nagios LS. How can I cnfigure NLS input plugin for Kafka?

Thank you
Luke.
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

Do you have a zookeeper server setup? The input needs to be configured to connect to a remote one since it doesn't have one installed.

The config would look something like:

Code: Select all

kafka {
topic_id => 'id'
zk_connect => 'zookkeeper:2181'
}
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.