Nagiosls does not receive the logs.

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
lukedevon

Nagiosls does not receive the logs.

Post by lukedevon »

Hi

In NLS;

1. I have enabled port 514 - UDP/TCP as the input filter. Enabled Listening On Privileged Ports too.

tcp {
type => 'syslog'
port => 514
}
------------------------------
udp {
type => 'syslog'
port => 514
}

2. In firewalld, also enabled these two ports to access incoming udp/tcp packets.
3. Activated the input filter, and there are no errors in logstash.log

But Nagios doesn't receive the logs.

When I take a tcpdump, I can see Nagios server receives the logs. But Nagiosls not.

Just to debug the issue, I followed this article to see if I have done anything wrong. https://support.nagios.com/kb/article.php?id=38

But still no luck.

Can you help me to understand what I have missed?

Thank you
Luke.
mbellerue

Re: Nagiosls does not receive the logs.

Post by mbellerue »

Hi Luke,

First, just to be certain, can you double check that there isn't a configuration change waiting to be applied?

I also want to verify that the input filter you posted is either two input filters, or does not actually contain the dashes. I've tried it out on a system here, and the dashes do throw a configuration error. That would prevent the new config from actually applying.

Could we also see the rsyslog configuration from the server that is sending the data? It will be in /etc/rsyslog.d/, named either 99-nagioslogserver.conf, or something similar if this is an additional file that's being monitored on that server.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
lukedevon

Post by lukedevon »

Hi

Thank you for your support. As you suggested I double checked all the configuration that I have made. I have done a silly mistake when configuring the syslog config file using setup-linux.sh. I have given a wrong ip as the NLS IP.

The problem has been fixed and now I can see the logs in the dashboard.

Thank you once again.

Regards
Luke.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

lukedevon wrote:Hi

Thank you for your support. As you suggested I double checked all the configuration that I have made. I have done a silly mistake when configuring the syslog config file using setup-linux.sh. I have given a wrong ip as the NLS IP.

The problem has been fixed and now I can see the logs in the dashboard.

Thank you once again.

Regards
Luke.
Great!

Locking thread
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com