Log Server - Dynamic source file

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
yuki

Log Server - Dynamic source file

Post by yuki »

Hi there,

We have downloaded Log Server and would like to forward Jira application log to it. However, the name of Jira log file is dynamic, which ends with a date, e.g. "access_log.2019-08-14".

In rsyslog.conf, we tried to put wildcard in the FILE_PATH: /file/path/access_log.* and it returned error:

imfile: The to-be-monitored file "/opt/atlassian/jira/logs/access_log.*" contains wildcards. This is not supported in polling mode. ...com/e/2420 ]

We are using rsyslog v8.24 which shall support wildcard in filename. Is wildcard only supported in inotify mode? If so, how to enforce inotify mode, we tried the parameter "mode" but no luck. Or is there any alternative instead of using wildcard?

Thanks in advance.

Yuki
cdienger
Support Tech

Re: Log Server - Dynamic source file

Post by cdienger »

Using a wildcard in polling mode doesn't seem to be an issue on the systems I tested with(8.40.0 and 5.8.10), so there may be other factors in place here. That said, I don't see a way to switch to inotify using the legacy config methods and it looks like rainerscript configuration would need to be used to switch. If you'd like to provide a copy of the current configuration file, I can make some further suggestions.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: Log Server - Dynamic source file

Post by scottwilkerson »

yuki wrote:Hi there,

The problem is solved by modifying the file name format.

Please close the case and thanks a lot.

Regards,
Yuki
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com