Copying NLS Logstash and Kibana configurations?

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
jaimie.livingston

Copying NLS Logstash and Kibana configurations?

Post by jaimie.livingston »

Is there a procedure for copying NLS Logstash (inputs, filters) and Kibana (dashboards, queries) between clusters?
SCP, Rsync?

Use Case:
I will have several NLS cluster deployments across different environments.
One cluster will be for developing new inputs/input filters and dashboards, all others are for production.

Is there a way to scp/rsync configurations from the "development" cluster to all "production" clusters.

Thanks,

Jaimie Livingston
cdienger
Support Tech

Re: Copying NLS Logstash and Kibana configurations?

Post by cdienger »

The logstash and kibana configs are all part of backups created by the backups job under Admin > System > Command Subsystem. The backups are stored in /store/backups/nagioslogserver/ and can be imported with:

Code: Select all

cd /usr/local/nagioslogserver/scripts/
./restore_backup.sh /store/backups/nagioslogserver/nagioslogserver.<timestamp>.tar.gz
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... Server.pdf
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
jaimie.livingston

If I understand the document correctly, this will not work for me...
According to the docs:
System Backups
System backups contain the configuration settings, dashboards, users, internal logs, alerts. Also included are the Inputs, Filters and Outputs for Logstash
Since the systems I need to sync are in different environments, they will possibly have different configurations and users, and should not have any modifications to logs for access or audits.

All I want to do is copy the Kibana Global Dashboards and Logstash Inputs, Filters and Outputs from one cluster to another, without modifying any other configurations, user accounts, logs, or indexes.

Config Snapshots capture the Logstash Inputs, Filters, and Outputs, but, as best I can tell from the docs and from examining a snapshot database.json file, don't capture the Kibana Dashboards.

So, if I wanted to copy the Logstash Inputs, Filters, and Outputs AND the Kibana Global Dashboards from one cluster to another cluster, is there a method I can use? I can write my own script, if I know which files to copy...

Thanks,

Jaimie Livingston
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

jaimie.livingston wrote:Config Snapshots capture the Logstash Inputs, Filters, and Outputs, but, as best I can tell from the docs and from examining a snapshot database.json file, don't capture the Kibana Dashboards.
this is correct. the problem is that the kibana dashboards are associated with users...

You cna back them up with something like

curl -XPOST "http://localhost:9200/kibana-int/_export?path=/store/backups/nagioslogserver/TESTBACKUP/kibana-int.tar.gz"

then transfer /store/backups/nagioslogserver/TESTBACKUP/kibana-int.tar.gz to the new server restore with something like

curl -XPOST "http://localhost:9200/kibana-int/_import?path=/store/backups/nagioslogserver/TESTBACKUP/kibana-int.tar.gz"

BUT, this will have all the user dashboards too which could cause unexpected behavior
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
jaimie.livingston

Excellent information. Thanks.

For purposes of using the Kibana API calls, what is the effective ElasticSearch/Kibana version?
A curl to localhost returned version 1.7.6, but that seems a bit out of date for year 2019...

Jaimie Livingston
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

jaimie.livingston wrote:Excellent information. Thanks.

For purposes of using the Kibana API calls, what is the effective ElasticSearch/Kibana version?
A curl to localhost returned version 1.7.6, but that seems a bit out of date for year 2019...

Jaimie Livingston
That is the version of elasticsearch Nagios Log Server uses, we seek stability over bleeding edge for our commercial software.

The Kibana installed with Log Server is a highly modified 3.1.1
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
jaimie.livingston

Thanks. I believe I have everything I need for this request now.
It will likely be a custom script leveraging the Elastic and Kibana APIs...

Jaimie Livingston
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

jaimie.livingston wrote:Thanks. I believe I have everything I need for this request now.
It will likely be a custom script leveraging the Elastic and Kibana APIs...

Jaimie Livingston
Great!

Locking thread
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com